New Fermzilla with Trai-clamp fittings

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A good read is Peter Wolfes thesis on dry hopping. Dry hopping for me is done just before I cold crash, so if I cold crash for two days at 0 degrees that is how long the hops stay in for.

Well there are as many different ways of brewing beer amongst commercial breweries as there are amongst home brewers. I've not toured many commercial breweries, just a few micro breweries, basically home brew on steroids and experimenting with all the same things we seem to, and some super large commercial breweries with kit that is several stories high so hard to tell exactly how they're doing things, but the fact that kit like this exists and is on sale suggests there is a demand for it in the commercial world.

But hops are very expensive and, being a manufacturing engineer and pretty anal when it comes to process control and understanding how variables in any process affects the end result, I would think that any successful large scale commercial brewery will be working hard on every element of the process to eek as much as they possibly can out of their ingredients. On a large commercial scale just a few percent less hops used for each batch will be worth several thousands every year from their bottom line.
https://youtube.com/shorts/Zn2oQR5p_fc?feature=share

I'll look that up. I've been experimenting with dry hop temperatures over my last few batches to see if temperature affects things. Think my last batch I cooled to about 13 degrees for three days then two days at 0 degrees cold crash. Cant say I noticed a huge difference...think I need to hold a few bottles of previous batches to do genuine back to back's instead of trying to remember how the last batch tasted.

Well there are as many different ways of brewing beer amongst commercial breweries as there are amongst home brewers. I've not toured many commercial breweries, just a few micro breweries, basically home brew on steroids and experimenting with all the same things we seem to, and some super large commercial breweries with kit that is several stories high so hard to tell exactly how they're doing things, but the fact that kit like this exists and is on sale suggests there is a demand for it in the commercial world.

But hops are very expensive and, being a manufacturing engineer and pretty anal when it comes to process control and understanding how variables in any process affects the end result, I would think that any successful large scale commercial brewery will be working hard on every element of the process to eek as much as they possibly can out of their ingredients. On a large commercial scale just a few percent less hops used for each batch will be worth several thousands every year from their bottom line.
The large commercials generally use essence and hop after fermentation has finished to keep a tighter control on repetative brews.

When I first started doing water treatment I felt I’d overdone the gypsum in a brew so tried to chuck a teaspoon of calcium chloride in to my corny, and it was a very similar situation to that all over my freshly converted and decorated garage. Won’t do that again - I’ll stick to religiously using online water calculators

Last edited:
Just watched the kegland promotional video for this. It looks good. I wonder if the tri-clover lid that takes the hop bong will fit existing Fermzillas. I would certainly explore whether there is anything to be gained to my process by adding that to my all rounder. I have no interest in the gubbins at the bottom of this so have no need for this model.

Latest posts

Back