New & looking for good kit recommendations

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewharhar

Reaction score
Geordie in Ontario. I no longer know what a gallon
just joined, hi all!

I'm new to brewing but not new to what beer is.

Ive got a Pilsner ready to bottle soon, and a Guinness just finishing it's primary fermentation, I did this on purpose (2 extremes) as love all kinds of beer and wanted some variety.

Planning a third, looking for good value decent kit. Any recommendations??
maybe something in the middle with a bit of character. Happy to add things to kits such as additional hops. think I want to us liquid or dry malt as the sugar.

cheers all.

Try typing in the search section Reviews A-Z kits, it gives a short cut to virtually all kit reviews and very helpful when deciding what to purchases locally or on the net.

I have just started brewing again and have got a couple of the Brewferm kits on the go. They have great reviews, they only yield about 12 litres, but good for getting a variety of Belgium style beers.

Last edited:
The one kit I have made that really hit the spot for me was the Woodfordes Admiral's Reserve - it brews short (only 32 pints) but my word it's a superb brew.

Home Brew Online have them on offer for about £18.50 at moment, so a bit of a bargain.

FatCol

Wherry is a solid kit. I find it best to brew to 21 litres.

It's cheap enough aswell £19 in wilko, often on offer for £14.

Can't go too far wrong with a Wherry or basically anything from the Coopers range. As you say, a one can kit generally benefits greatly from additional malt extract, liquid or dry.

Dry hopping is easy, adding hops to a boil requires a big pot and is a logical step after doing a few kits, to get used to the basic brewing process.

Wow thanks everyone, I will make a liet of the recs & take it with me when I go to local brew shop, I know I've seen coopers there and it's one of the better priced ones. They had a bunch of different beer kits.

Live in the middle of nowhere, so limited to 1 shop, but they are really helpful.

I tested the Pilsner Im making last night, it's close to end of secondary fermentation, and even though it's young i suspect it's lacking character even though I added extra hops & used liquid malt for sugar. Guess I'm looking for a bigger surprise. I also moved the stout to the carboy, this seems more promising.

Thanks all.

Back