New Need advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richie2012

Reaction score
Hi,
I wanna start home brewing but dont know where to start, i have seen wilkinsons have a set for 18 pound but i dont know if this is adequate (please excuse my spelling)
Any help on good start kits would be great
Thanks
Richie

Hi Ritchie

I have been brewing for a couple of months and have been using coopers kits, you can find them at your local home brew or my local delivers:

http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/

I have found them to be versy simple to use, I am now modifinying my kits and I have only done 5 or 6. Follow the instructions and you will be fine, once you know what you are doing you can then move on if you so wish.

Remember to take your time, clean and sanitise before you brew. Check the forums for help and ask if you need to.

Most of all enjoy it.

You may find it cheaper to buy your equipment from Wilkinsons or Tesco :thumb: . You could also buy a beer kit from them too, but I would suggest trying your local Home Brew Shop for that as they have a much better & larger choice. It is a shame that they are (usually) dearer when it comes to equipment.
Also, if you are thinking of a pressure barrel, for ease of use buy one with a 4" cap, not the small one that you can't get your hand in to clean.

the brewbuddy starter kit in wilcos is very good for the money. you will also need to buy a trail jar and buy a seperate siphon tube, the one in the starter kit has no tap on the end i seem to remember.

also you need loads of bottles-bottles are best, dont listen to the keg men on here. save a load of coke bottles, or cheepo lemonade bottles. start collecting 500ml glass beer bottles. you will need lots, at least 80 i would say. use the pop bottles while you build your glass stock.

get brewing

:drink:

I bet you wish you hadn't asked. How confused are you now?
Don't worry there is no right or wrong way. Read some of the "how to" forum threads. Check the Board index above.
Again, you might find that chap in the local home brew shop really helpful, just drop in for a chat. :thumb:

Thanks everyone for your advice
I ended up going wikos and buying the kit i had no idea what i was doing and bought also a fermentation drum which i had a hole in middle of lid and bought rubber air lock bungs, as im staying in digs at collage the water is terrible so i bought 34 litres of water ha

so i opened my kit up and on the instructions it talks about standing the can in hot water so does this mean i can use water boiled from a kettle ????? or does it need to be on a hob?????

Thanks for all your help

Richie2012 said:
bought also a fermentation drum which i had a hole in middle of lid and bought rubber air lock bungs

so i opened my kit up and on the instructions it talks about standing the can in hot water so does this mean i can use water boiled from a kettle ????? or does it need to be on a hob?????

Thanks for all your help

When i first starting homebrewing i too brought the same fermenter with the whole in the top, which i think is better suited to making wine (which i didnt know at the time) but i now use a fermenter with a lid. I really dont know the difference but my guess would be the natural Co2 levels with a closed lid is better.

Re: cans in water.... Just stand then up and pour hot water from the kettle and leave to "melt" for 5 mins, that should make the contents soft.

Thanks alot for all your advice
ive noticed my kit is missing sugar, it says i can use normal granulated sugar but would it ruin the taste???? i looked on wilkos website but i cant remember seeing any in shop either of the brewing sugar

Thanks again

dorset brewer said:
Richie2012 said:
bought also a fermentation drum which i had a hole in middle of lid and bought rubber air lock bungs

When i first starting homebrewing i too brought the same fermenter with the whole in the top, which i think is better suited to making wine (which i didnt know at the time) but i now use a fermenter with a lid. I really dont know the difference but my guess would be the natural Co2 levels with a closed lid is better.

Assuming you mean the 1gallon size ones, they're intended for wine - who makes only a gallon of beer at a time?
Mine didn't have a hole but the shop would make one and fit a grommet for free, so I got them to. Nothing ever comes through the lock I put in there - it all leaks out somewhere else. So if I ever buy another, I won't bother with the holey version. If the lid gets drum-tight, you can just ease it up at the edge to let a bit of CO2 out

Latest posts

Back