New starter to lager brewing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is the lager style kit ones like the Cooper or Czech pilsner etc. 13 pounds per kit or do I need a more expensive one?
Thanks

I've tried the Cooper's 86 days lager kit (just a name, it only takes a week to ferment) and it was nice. Got a Cooper's European and Aussie lager to try too.

The thing to remember is that whilst it'll be ready to drink in under a month it'll get better if you leave it longer.

I've been brewing kits since April. I have built up a decent stock so the ones I bottle this week won't be touched until at least December.

I haven't used them myself but there's a link on here for keg that and they do Cooper's kits for £11 plus 7% off.

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/discount-cheatsheet.64575/

I've tried the Cooper's 86 days lager kit (just a name, it only takes a week to ferment) and it was nice. Got a Cooper's European and Aussie lager to try too.

The thing to remember is that whilst it'll be ready to drink in under a month it'll get better if you leave it longer.

I've been brewing kits since April. I have built up a decent stock so the ones I bottle this week won't be touched until at least December.

I haven't used them myself but there's a link on here for keg that and they do Cooper's kits for £11 plus 7% off.

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/discount-cheatsheet.64575/
Sounds just what im looking for to be honest, do you also add sugar once bottled to each bottle to carbonate like
yrhendystu?
Ive also heard of carbonation drops too but no one has commented on these yet

Ive also heard of carbonation drops too but no one has commented on these yet
Generally a waste of money. Does the same job as normal sugar or brewing sugar, and most of them are doses for 330ml bottles so unless you are making something with low carbonation or very high carbonation they aren’t really that great for 500ml bottles.

Never been a lager drinker as such, the lagers I tried were back in the 70's which literally have put me off for life, have tried an odd one since, but so cold and highly carbonated I just couldn't finish them.

Having said that, when I have been on the continent in recent years, I've tried one or two, was pleasantly surprised, not highly carbonated or brain freezingly cold, they tasted more like a beer than a lager!

Not looking for a kit as I brew AG, so might just give a lager a go, the 'brewfridge' is set up including an 'inkbird' always bottle all my ale.

Apologies to Craig, don't wish to hijack his thread, but my questions are similar but AG as opposed to kit.

A couple of questions, to check if my understanding is correct.

As an AG brew, initially use the the same method as for brewing ale?
Its the fermentation that is slightly different? Obviously lager yeast, then ferment at lower temperatures taking longer in the FV before bottling?

Got a couple of beer recipes to brew over the next month before putting my next order together, so might be time to have a go at a decent 'beery' lager!

Last edited:
Never been a lager drinker as such, the lagers I tried were back in the 70's which literally have put me off for life, have tried an odd one since, but so cold and highly carbonated I just couldn't finish them.

Having said that, when I have been on the continent in recent years, I've tried one or two, was pleasantly surprised, not highly carbonated or brain freezingly cold, they tasted more like a beer than a lager!

Not looking for a kit as I brew AG, so might just give a lager a go, the 'brewfridge' is set up including an 'inkbird' always bottle all my ale.

Apologies to Craig, don't wish to hijack his thread, but my questions are similar but AG as opposed to kit.

A couple of questions, to check if my understanding is correct.

As an AG brew, initially use the the same method as for brewing ale?
Its the fermentation that is slightly different? Obviously lager yeast, then ferment at lower temperatures taking longer in the FV before bottling?
The only difference is the fermentation. I generally do 10-12C for about 10 days then increase the temperature by 0.5C each day until it reaches 18C then leave for another week or so. You then have 2 options, you can bottle/keg and carbonate then lager in the bottle/keg, or you can lager in the FV (I do it in primary because I have a conical).

I decrease temperature by 0.5-1C each day until it gets to 1C and leave it there for a month (some people will move their beer to secondary at this stage, I leave it in primary) then package.

I haven't bothered with the drops. You might as well just use sugar cubes or normal sugar and a funnel. I sometimes use brown sugar which would block a funnel so I'll dissolve in a little hot water first then pour in.

MickDundee .... thanks for the info, always nice to know my thoughts are on the right lines!

Going to clear my stock of grains etc thne going to give a beery lager a go, I'm sure folk know what I mean ,! Cheers

Latest posts

Back