New tap and keg installation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerwegoagain

Seeking wisdom. Found beer.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi O wise people,
I am about to put together 2 taps , 2 kegs and it's associated gas. All stuff should have been provided by Brew Keg Tap (a quick look over it all looked like it was I think) I just wanted to ask if there is any advice or wise thinking's I should heed before chopping up tubes? Don't want to lose beer or gas. Thanks in advance.

You see a lot of people putting the CO2 cyclinder in the fridge

I have my cyl under a worktop in the garage and then route the gas pipe up to the fridge.

Depends on space obvs.

20230622_121817.jpg

(excuse the mess - it is a garage)

Dont make your beer lines too short - start with them looped up and long - it will avoid / reduce fobbing. I think mine are about 2 metres and I dont have a (I forget the name) variable pour valve thing.

Hi, yea gas won't go in the fridge along with the beer. But will be on the floor tucked away under my alter (beer work shelf space) in the garage. Wonder what the wife would say to taps on our overflow fridge?🤔 My beer fridge is a glass fronted affair I got ex display at a bargain price. Only downside is someone puts food in the other one, I know, outrageous! Long beer lines and can always reduce, can hide loops round the kegs. Anything about the fitting of pipes to the connectors. Looks straight forward but assumption is the mother of all foul ups.

My two pence, once all installed don't leave gas on all the time , plenty on here including myself that have emptied a cylinder when a connection has flexed and leaked.

Now I only turn on gas to dispense (apart from putting beer under pressure to carbonate but even then I pressurise at 30 , turn of gas and then repeat for a few days )

My two pence, once all installed don't leave gas on all the time , plenty on here including myself that have emptied a cylinder when a connection has flexed and leaked.

Now I only turn on gas to dispense (apart from putting beer under pressure to carbonate but even then I pressurise at 30 , turn of gas and then repeat for a few days )
Thanks, I'd hate to lose gas due to a tiny leak then have none left to dispense 😭

My twopenneth is that it’s a lot easier to route gas around in 1/4” or even 3/16” tubing and you‘ll have no trouble with the flow rate unless you’ve got a very long run.

When I first started using taps I used to get an awful lot of foaming - I’d failed to understand the importance of using a length of thin (3/16”) tubing between the keg beer-out and the tap. You may find that your taps already come with thin tubing fitted - if so, don’t be tempted to cut them too short: you need about a metre of it.

My twopenneth is that it’s a lot easier to route gas around in 1/4” or even 3/16” tubing and you‘ll have no trouble with the flow rate unless you’ve got a very long run.

When I first started using taps I used to get an awful lot of foaming - I’d failed to understand the importance of using a length of thin (3/16”) tubing between the keg beer-out and the tap. You may find that your taps already come with thin tubing fitted - if so, don’t be tempted to cut them too short: you need about a metre of it.
Hi, yea taps (to be assembled) came with thin tubing, 3/16th I think and will need to be at least 1m, probably nearer 2m for where I can fit the taps. I take it the fittings just 'grip' the tubes once they are inserted, looks that way at least.

I was going to also suggest 3/16 for gas too. It's so much easier. I have very little 3/8 in my setup.
I leave my gas on all the time. I know others have had issues doing this, and I know it could happen to me, but it hasn't. Check for leakes with a star san solution or similar when first assembled and you'll likely find any leaks. I know it's divisive (the whole gas on or off question), but I can't be faffing with turning it on and off every session. It's just the way I prefer. Nothing wrong worh turning it off as a safety net.

Hi, yea taps (to be assembled) came with thin tubing, 3/16th I think and will need to be at least 1m, probably nearer 2m for where I can fit the taps. I take it the fittings just 'grip' the tubes once they are inserted, looks that way at least.
Yes the fittings just grip the pipe when you push them in, and can also be released by pulling while fully holding down the plastic ring. Make sure you push the tube in *firmly*.

You will probably find with a 2m run of tubing for the beer, that doing it all in 3/16” will make the flow rate very slow - not in itself a problem, but means it can take a long time to fill a glass (!)

If this turns out to be a problem then the easy solution is to do half the run in 3/8” tube and use an adapter (readily available) to drop down to 3/16” for the last metre closest to the tap.

1687457013093.png

Last edited:
Don't guess your beer line length and diameter flow rate etc.
Do it properly and use this calculator.
https://www.brewingcalculators.com/beer-line-length/
Check all connections at installation start at regulator and work to the kegs or vice versa. Submerging a connection is the best method otherwise soapy water.
A properly installed system will be balanced, won't leak and will give you consistent pours.
I'd recommend evabarrier tubing for liquid and gas side.

How many cylinders leaked out?

But agreed all the pitfalls and pleasures are there.
Leaked out? Of my finger at the time of the build about a teaspoon of the red stuff… 🤕 ….of CO2 none really so far. I had a leaky disconnect I think late last year but none since then. I’m on my second ever CO2 cylinder so far.

Leaked out? Of my finger at the time of the build about a teaspoon of the red stuff… 🤕 ….of CO2 none really so far. I had a leaky disconnect I think late last year but none since then. I’m on my second ever CO2 cylinder so far.
Which goes to show a good setup can be left turned on all the time and enjoyed for ages.

Latest posts

Back