*NEW* THBF FORUM GLASSES

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I would be interested in buying a forum glass and my preference would be...

• Conical Style

• Tankard

• Tulip Style

• Willi Becker Style

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cussword said:
markp said:
Boooo for the tankards; sheesh!, anyone would think this is a site dedicated to real ale drinking :lol: :lol:

I can't believe you're opting for short measures too :whistle:

Just fill it twice :whistle:

I know, but every 'gallon' will be a good half a pint short :eek:

:lol: :lol:

I have a fundamental problem with the whole concept of buying drinking glasses. With the price some pubs charge for a glass of beer you would have to assume that the glass was included in the sale, and even more so with soft drinks. I've never seen any disclaimer on any bill of fare to indicate that the glass is only on loan, although it does appear to be established convention that you hand them back or leave them on the tables when they are empty and you leave the establishment.

I have to confess that I didn't buy last year's forum glass, partly as above but mostly because it didn't 'ave an 'andle.

Moley said:
I have a fundamental problem with the whole concept of buying drinking glasses. With the price some pubs charge for a glass of beer you would have to assume that the glass was included in the sale, and even more so with soft drinks. I've never seen any disclaimer on any bill of fare to indicate that the glass is only on loan, although it does appear to be established convention that you hand them back or leave them on the tables when they are empty and you leave the establishment.

I have to confess that I didn't buy last year's forum glass, partly as above but mostly because it didn't 'ave an 'andle.

[lawyer]you only ask for, and therefore only offer money for, and therefore only contract to purchase, a quantity of alcoholic beverage. Therefore, there need be no disclaimer. If you wish to legally take home the glasses, ask for 'a pint of beer and a pint glass' and then when they request £3 for it you give them the money and you've just completed a legally binding contract for the beer and glass.[/lawyer]

hypnoticmonkey said:
[lawyer]you only ask for, and therefore only offer money for, and therefore only contract to purchase, a quantity of alcoholic beverage.[/lawyer]
Oh I like the way you think :clap:
So when I ask for “a pint of Pedigree” that is all I'm contracting to purchase, but when I have asked for “a pint of Broadside in a handled glass”, or when darling daughter has asked for a J2O and they have said “do you want that in a glass?” it's quite alright that the dimpled tankard and J2O glass are still on the boat because I've asked for or they've offered them?

Ericstd: A lot probably depends upon the type of hostelry. I know I'm not going to be ripped off in my Local, I'm talking about the sort of place we might only ever visit once in passing, and where we'd probably be taking our drinks outside anyway.

Moley said:
hypnoticmonkey said:
[lawyer]you only ask for, and therefore only offer money for, and therefore only contract to purchase, a quantity of alcoholic beverage.[/lawyer]
Oh I like the way you think :clap:
So when I ask for “a pint of Pedigree” that is all I'm contracting to purchase, but when I have asked for “a pint of Broadside in a handled glass”, or when darling daughter has asked for a J2O and they have said “do you want that in a glass?” it's quite alright that the dimpled tankard and J2O glass are still on the boat because I've asked for or they've offered them?

Ericstd: A lot probably depends upon the type of hostelry. I know I'm not going to be ripped off in my Local, I'm talking about the sort of place we might only ever visit once in passing, and where we'd probably be taking our drinks outside anyway.

'a pint of Broadside in a handled glass' is a grey area because of the aforementioned accepted custom and the fact you're not explicitly asking for the glass as part of the contract, you're just asking for a method by which the quantity of liquid will be delivered. You'll have to choose your words carefully, you have to actually be requesting both. "I'll have a J2O and a glass, please." or if you want to really cover your tracks "how much for a J2O and a glass?" "£2.75" "Yes please, a J2O and a glass and... darling, what are you having?"

Basically, put yourself in the situation where pubs sell both beer in glasses you borrow or beer with glasses you can keep and ask the question that you would ask to get the latter.

Ok, I think this discussion has gone far enough, I'm not actually advocating that everyone should collect glassware this way.

But it does all come back to something Douglas Adams wrote, “you can fool any logical system by thinking at least as logically as it does.”

The response so far has been brilliant, thanks :clap:

The poll closes next Sunday so if you haven't yet made a vote you still can!

Tankard for me! Any chance of having a left handed option on the engraving side if tankard gets the vote?

Poll closes on Sunday evening around 7pm. Get your votes in :thumb:

Tankards are more expensive than the other styles but only by about £1.00

We hope to be able to get them out inc delivery for around £10.00 may be more for the tankard tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back