New to brewing and going to full mash method first

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lukethebrewer

Reaction score
Hi fellow brewers! I'm (very) new to brewing, currently assembling the kit ready to go. So hopefully I'll be able to repay some of the advice on here back in the future with my own but for now, just wondering if anyone has a take on whether a gas or electric boiler is better? Research so far suggests a gas boiler might be better because you could cool it in a tub of iced water? Advice very much appreciated. Luke

Personally I would go for electric. Most of the brewers I know who use gas do it outdoors for safety reasons. not always pleasant in winter. Before I bought a worn chiller I would allow to stand for 30 mins then drop into the FV and drop that into a cold bath.

I used to do electric when Burco Boilers used to boil. Changed to gas for the boil and just use the Burcos for heating the mash and sparge water now. Much more control with gas and I can brew bigger batches and get the beer to boiling much quicker. Yes you have to do it outside, but anything other than a cooker-top batch is done outside anyway because of: the strange properties of propane; the amount of steam generated, which, with the stovetop batch, can be controlled with the extractor on the cooker hood. Downside, it's cold in the winter and you don't do it when it's blowing a gale. Solution, stay indoors and make stove-top batches on those days. Go with nature, I say. There's no way I'd go back to all-electric.

I went for gas burner as I wasn't keen on stuff burning on the elements at the bottom of the kettle. As mentioned it does have its drawbacks as you have to boil outside. That's where pop up toilet tents come in handy though.

Thanks all - food (or booze) for thought - An Ankou / Guybrush Threepwood, with gas, do you think doing the brew in an outbuilding/ garage with the door open would be safe enough?

When I was setting up my equipment, I had the same dilemma. I think you should go with whatever suits you best. I am fortunate enough to have a laundry room where I have fitted a large industrial extractor and a dedicated electric supply. I prefer electric as I can control it (made a controller for my elements which also stops scorching) and I can do it all year round. I personally would not like to brew outside, especially in the winter. I also would need to always have a spare gas bottle if I went the gas route through fear of running out.

Latest posts

Back