New to home brewing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Moon

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
my name is Paul. I was born and bred in Sunderland UK.
Most recently my son asked if we could start a bit of a nano-brewing company off. (Yeah right). His idea being his Chemical Engineering degree, and my automotive paint system circulation knowledge would give us a slight advantage on most people just starting out.
We ordered a stainless steel HLT, Mash tun, and BK. I have also added an electric pump, double wort chiller and 2 chest freezers (second hand for £30 that are controlled externally by a thermo controller).
After realising I may have gone a bit overboard, and knowing I have very little knowledge with brewing, off I went searching the internet and reading post after post. However, I didn't want to delve into full grain brewing before starting with the infant stages, so I convinced my son to take one step at a time, and out I went and bought some second hand equipment.
Plastic 60lt twin element boiler, 60lt Plastic Fermenter with tap, Cooler box converted to a mash tun, with sparging and filtration added, 2 x 23lt plastic kegs with s3o co2 fittings on caps, hydrometer, bottle filler, syphoning tubes, thermometer, jugs, funnels, yeast bottle, all for £25 (Absolute bargain).
Decided to start with Coopers European Lager (Extract)
Sanitation and Brew day was Friday 13th July (what a date to start on lol...)
Followed all instructions on packet and put fermenter into one of the controlled freezers at 13 degrees C (recommended on a forum I was reading)
Noticed we had missed one basic step in our excitement, which was the OG, but I though that as we gad followed all other instructions to the letter, then we would be somewhere near at the end FG
Problem. After 5 days I noticed we didn't get any foam, or crude on the top of the fermentation, so I re-stirred to see if it would start the fermentation.
Left it all until today as I have been on holiday. Still no foam on top. Took a sample and checked SG with hydrometer and it is reading 1013. Even if the OG was 1040 this would give an ABV of 3.2%. Not very good.
Has something gone wrong, or should I just leave it and give it more time.

Followed all instructions on packet and put fermenter into one of the controlled freezers at 13 degrees C (recommended on a forum I was reading)

It looks like you should have aimed for 21c at the lowest (13c being the lowest it will ferment at but not recommended)
I bet you would like to thank the person on the other forum for recommending you keep it at 13c. :laugh8:

vvvvvvvv.jpg

Last edited:
It looks like you should have aimed for 21c at the lowest (13c being the lowest it will ferment at but not recommended)
I bet you would like to thank the person on the other forum for recommending you keep it at 13c. :laugh8:

vvvvvvvv.jpg
Hello Chippy_Tea. the info is only from peoples experience, and all said they had success at 12 - 15 degrees C. After all the instructions do say as low as 13

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Chippy_Tea. the info is only from peoples experience, and all said they had success at 12 - 15 degrees C. After all the instructions do say as low as 13

The instructions do say 13c but they are not recommending you ferment at that temperature they are saying "Prefered brewing temperature is at the low end of the range i.e 21c.

Does it mean the fermentation is ruined or just to leave it longer?

If you look at number 3 it says it will ferment but it will take longer which is why i found it strange someone would suggest you ferment it at a temperature much lower than 21c that Coopers recommend.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back