New to packaging with Corny Kegs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parpot

Regular.
Reaction score
Just purchased two S/H Corny kegs and just asking If I need adjust them in anyway? My thinking is as they were used to serve soft drinks do I need to adjust the draw pipe to prevent sediment being picked up after the second fermentation?

Depends. If you cold crash your beer effectively, and/or fine your beer and fill them with almost bright beer and force carbonate then you'll only really need to run off a quarter pint or so. As long as you don't move them they tend to take a 10p sized circle of sediment off the bottom leaving the rest stuck to the bottom. If you fill them with murk and then allow them to naturally condition with secondary fermentation you'll only need to run off a little bit more than a quarter pint if you get them good and cold and don't move them. Obviously there are other scenarios where you'll have better or worse results, but I don't bother cutting the dip tube short or anything. The first pour is just always a bit ... enriched.

Thanks for the responses, so I am better off doing the second fermentation in an FV then draw off into the Corny and just carbonate with Co2.

Thanks for the responses, so I am better off doing the second fermentation in an FV then draw off into the Corny and just carbonate with Co2.
No need for a second fermentation at all. Just ferment as normal then cold crash if possible. Then transfer into the corny and force carb!

Yeah man I was going to come back and say something, but forgot.

Ferment, cold crash, rack to corny with some priming sugar and allow the keg to be your secondary fermenter. Fine in keg if you want? Keep them at room temperature for a couple of weeks. When you are ready to serve from them put them into position for 24-48 hours to let them settle out after being moved and get them cold. Discard the first half a pint. Away you go. You'll want some gas when you've filled them just to snug up the seals and check for leaks. Treat them like a big bottle where you have to serve the sediment at the bottom first.

You can force carb them if you want to drink it sooner, but don't stress about a secondary to eliminate sediment. A lot of beers don't mind a week or two to carbonate and natural conditioning saves on gas.

Latest posts

Back