New to the Brew...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wix1210

Reaction score
Hey all! Nice to be here. As the title says, I'm new to brewing. Have done a LOT of research on the forum over the past couple of months, which has massively helped me out! athumb..

I decided to jump in at the deep end and go all grain. It was a choice between Grainfather or Brew Devil. In the end, I decided to buy the Brew Devil system from Angel Homebrew as I couldn't justify paying nearly DOUBLE for The Grainfather.

I also decided to build a fermentation fridge with an Inkbird ITC-308 temp controller to accommodate my 30L Speidel FV.

Anyway, after a month of getting things sorted and "up-to-date" with the wife, I gave myself to the dark side and brewed my first ever beer, Brewolution's Hoppy Hougardia.

So far so good, I think! I'll find out in 10 days!
acheers.

Welcome!
It sounds like you have set yourself on a good course for your brewing journey. But beware, it's so very easy to get into this hobby deeper than you anticipated (I say having just unboxed a PID tonight). Sounds like you've picked an interesting brew as your first, let us know how out turns out. Fermentation fridge is a great move that should help with predictable fermentations.

Cheers!:cheers3:

Thanks cushyno!

I really like the Brew Devil, it's a good piece of kit and I've only used it once! Immersion chiller is good too, got it hooked up to the garden hose, works a treat...

20180902_122843.jpg

Got some pics of the fermentation fridge...

20180830_190302.jpg

20180831_074912.jpg

20180831_074858.jpg

20180830_190341.jpg

Can't wait to taste this...

20180916_143213.jpg

acheers.

Thanks! athumb..

Already planning another brew this weekend, so she'll be pleased the summer house is going to be put to good use again...

Brew house sounds much better than summer house... :laugh8:

Thanks! athumb..

Already planning another brew this weekend, so she'll be pleased the summer house is going to be put to good use again...

Brew house sounds much better than summer house... :laugh8:

Im also the owner of a house formerly designated as being for summer.

That's a fantastic start. I'm just starting and working with a starter kit on the garage. Payday will allow a fermentation fridge, similar to yours with a heat pad not a heater. But looking at your pictures thinking I might go for a heat tube so I can condition bottles.

When able I would move to keg, its great pouring yourself a beer at home. I went for kegging over AG, but will progress to it in the near future.

Thanks Aaron. I went for a infra red heater as it doesn't give off any light so I can use the fridge for fermenting and bottle conditioning at the same time.

So this weekend I have another brew lined up...
20180920_190648.jpg

clapa

Thanks Aaron. I went for a infra red heater as it doesn't give off any light so I can use the fridge for fermenting and bottle conditioning at the same time.

So this weekend I have another brew lined up...
View attachment 15648
clapa
That's nice.
Is that a butternut squash in the background? Just made some soup for my wife using that. Sorry for being nosey!

Can't wait to get into all grain. I'm planning a Black IPA for my first, but want to build up with a mini mash first.

Like i said, never brewed before but I'm hooked already! I think you should go for it Aaron just for the experience, you won't regret it. I don't mind if my first brew doesn't taste good, I enjoyed the brewing it.

Back