New to the Homebrew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewing Boilerman

Reaction score
Hey guys (and possibly Gals) I just wanted to introduce my self on your forums really.

I did my first brew last year. It was a coopers Lager. It was ok but to be honest i didnt leave it long enough to condition in the bottles. It was ok but nothing to shout about really.

So about 6 weeks ago i decided i was going to get in to the Homebrew again. I am moe of a Lager / Wheat beer drinker so i decided to get myself a Coopers starter box and have another go. I have since got myself 2 more FVs and have a total of 3 brews on the go and 2 conditioning in plastic bottles.

I guess i am looking to build up a bit of a supply but also i figure it will give me a good idea of which beers i like and maybe want to brew again and which i might want to experment with.

Like i said i have 2 conditioning right now. A Copers lager and a Coopers Wheat beer. My lager was bottled on the 15/8/2012. Since then over the past couple of weeks i have tried a total of 3 bottles to see how it is getting on. Is seems to be clearing and improving nicely but it seems rather FLAT to be honest. Im hoping that if i leave it for 3 months it will become gassier. I have bottled it all in 500ml PET bottles and used 1 carbonation drop in each as stated by coopers.

Any way fingers crossed it all works out fine.

I will be looking for some direction towards lagers and wheat beers to make that are not Coopers if anyone has any thoughts.

FV1 Tooheys Special Lager
FV2 Coopers European Lager
FV3 Copers Cerveza Mexican Lager

Conditioning
Coopers Lager
Coopers Wheat Beer

Cheers :cheers:

Hi and Welcome
:cheers:

Plenty of advise to be had and as far as kits go. Look through the reviews. Plenty of choise

don't bother with the carbonation drops use a cooks half teaspoon measure and add half a tsp of ordinary sugar to each 500 ml bottle for beers and ales, if you like fizzy lager add three quarters of a tsp to each bottle. then give it 2 or 3 weeks to carbonate.

Welcome.

Welcome to the forum :thumb:

We are organising a forum meet up next year. If you are interested, click on The Spring Thing button in the header and register to receive a newsletter :cheers:

piddledribble said:
don't bother with the carbonation drops use a cooks half teaspoon measure and add half a tsp of ordinary sugar to each 500 ml bottle for beers and ales, if you like fizzy lager add three quarters of a tsp to each bottle. then give it 2 or 3 weeks to carbonate.

Welcome.

What about the same measurement but of brewing sugar? I have heard that ordinary cane sugar can give an after taste or is this only if you use it to brew with?

Hello and welcome to the forum. :cheers:

TBH I'm not sure if you will tell the difference with priming sugar.

A good technique is to batch prime your bottles though, ie rack the beer off the trub into another container and mix the total amuount of sugar in with it before bottling. This way every bottle will have the same amount of sugar dissolved in it. :cheers:

Back