New to this - "Woodforde's Wherry Real Ale" kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay77

Reaction score
Hi,

So I asked and received my first ale kit, always fancied giving it a go so here I am.

I have a "Woodforde's Wherry Real Ale" kit and that's it. No equipment whatsoever...

Any tips before I start? What equipment will I be needing... any recommendations?

Stupid question alert: Can I store it in the garage or will it be too cold?

a fermenter

10 empty 2L fizzy bottles

a syphon tube

some sanitiser

then you are rocking

keep in the house to ferment then keep bottles in the garage

Thanks, will get looking :thumb:

How bad is the smell whilst fermenting?

there is no smell really not with a kit like wherry.

sanitise the fermenter, follow instructions on tin, airate like hell then some more. (airation paddle might be good). leave for 10 days, add some sugar to the bottles fill with syphon, leave inside for a couple of days, store in garage, wait two weeks, drink heartily

yes they are great just (sorry for shouting) CLOSE THE TAP FIRST :eek: :oops:

don't pour though, air is bad at this point syphon and avoid splashing too much

prolix said:
...leave inside for a couple of days...
I'd make that a couple of weeks inside after bottling to ensure good carbonation. Patience is everything with homebrew. You'll also need a thermometer (consistent and correct fermentation temperature is next to patience) and, less critical, a hydrometer (so you know when its finished fermenting).

Welcome to a great new hobby.

Welcome to home brewing,

I have a Woodfordes Wherry kit conditioning in the shed at the moment after two weeks conditioning in the warm.

First samples are promising, should be even better now its chilled so may crack a bottle open shortly and "sample" how it's progressing.

Hope your kit goes well.

Jim

Hope you had a good new year all.

Another question...

If I place in a keg when read (rather than bottles) - how long will it keep? Also, am I right that I could put the keg in the garage then (after a couple of weeks)?

Jay77 said:
If I place in a keg when ready how long will it keep?
6-12 months.
Also, am I right that I could put the keg in the garage then (after a couple of weeks)?
Yep, in the warm for 2 weeks to carbonate then somewhere cool, like your garage, to condition.

Wilkinsons do that fermenter WITHOUT the temp gauge for £12. USe a local homebrew shop if you have one. I didn't enough this year and now it's closed down .

prolix said:
sanitise the fermenter, follow instructions on tin, airate like hell then some more. (airation paddle might be good). leave for 10 days, add some sugar to the bottles fill with syphon, leave inside for a couple of days, store in garage, wait two weeks, drink heartily

More questions!

- Why do you sanitise the fermenter?
- Do you sanitise the equipment?
- What does 'airate' mean!?
- What is an airation paddle?
- If I'm using a keg instead of bottles, how much sugar should I add to the keg?
- Can I use standard granulated sugar (like we use for tea/coffee)?

:?

Jay77 said:
Why do you sanitise the fermenter?
To stop wild yeast and bacteria from spoiling your brew. For example, turning it into vinegar or worse.

Jay77 said:
- Do you sanitise the equipment?
Yes. Everything that touches the wort must be sanitised. Avoid touching it with your hands but as long as you have thoroughly washed them then that is fine.

Jay77 said:
Get air into the wort. This allows the yeast to multiply.

Jay77 said:
- What is an airation paddle?
One of these: http://www.thehomebrewcompany.co.uk/beer-paddle-plastic-16y-p-80.html

Jay77 said:
- If I'm using a keg instead of bottles, how much sugar should I add to the keg?
The Wherry instructions tell you this. If I remember correctly, it says 85g.

Jay77 said:
Yes. For priming this is fine.

rpt said:
Jay77 said:
Get air into the wort. This allows the yeast to multiply.

I use bottled water for my brews and have found that upending the bottles and pouring from a height of a few inches gives plenty of froth (so hopefully plenty of oxygen in the wort). I've certainly not had any problems this way.

rpt said:
Jay77 said:
The Wherry instructions tell you this. If I remember correctly, it says 85g.

Yes, that is what the kit says though I was advised by a home brewing mate (my first kit was a Wherry too) to use 100g and tweak the pressure relief band after a day or two to release the initial pressure. The theory is that this pushes out most or all of the air in the leaving just CO2. YMMV.

rpt said:
Jay77 said:
Yes. For priming this is fine.

I used granulated for my Wherry and it was fine. I've now bought a bag of brewing sugar from Wilkos and use that but only because it disolves more easily...

_

Latest posts

Back