New toy

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1st brew on the G30 g3 - The Malt Miller Pride of Griffin (London Pride)

Things took a long time as its the 1st go and deffo some learnings....like the heater on/off switch is at the bottom as is set to off by default...wonder why it wasn't heating. The rubber filter connector in the box is a spare and does not fit into the other one as the pump doesn't pump...D'oh

Put the recipe into the Grainfather App and followed it to the letter

The stated OG was 1.048 and I got 1.046 although it did look murky.

20230603_181808.jpg

Another thing for next time is to leave the chiller on longer before putting in the fv as temp came out as 27c. So have it in the brew fridge cooling down

Enjoy your G30. I got one a while back and am about 10 brews in. I think I've made every stupid mistake possible so far! If you have any teething problems, I am your man 😀
I did see that David Heath uses a jubilee clip to hold the rubber pipe for the filter onto the out pipe as he does a whirlpool.. did you do this?

I did see that David Heath uses a jubilee clip to hold the rubber pipe for the filter onto the out pipe as he does a whirlpool.. did you do this?
I've never needed to do this. In about 30 brews, the hop filter has never come off. I make sure I don't whack it with my paddle and that simple job seems to make it stay put

1st brew on the G30 g3 - The Malt Miller Pride of Griffin (London Pride)

Things took a long time as its the 1st go and deffo some learnings....like the heater on/off switch is at the bottom as is set to off by default...wonder why it wasn't heating. The rubber filter connector in the box is a spare and does not fit into the other one as the pump doesn't pump...D'oh

Put the recipe into the Grainfather App and followed it to the letter

The stated OG was 1.048 and I got 1.046 although it did look murky.

View attachment 86405

Another thing for next time is to leave the chiller on longer before putting in the fv as temp came out as 27c. So have it in the brew fridge cooling down
You can adjust the flow rates through the chiller.

David heath has a handy video on it.
In short you can reduce the temperature of the wort coming out of the chiller by either opening up your cold tap more, or closing the red valve on the wort pipe a bit more (reducing the wort flow rate).

A friend of mine has a grainfather and he recirculates through the hop spider until the chiller gets it down to a set temp, then goes from the chiller to the fermenter.

This clarifies his beer as well as doing a pre chill.

He has to scrape the spider every so often to free up the mesh to stop it overflowing

A friend of mine has a grainfather and he recirculates through the hop spider until the chiller gets it down to a set temp, then goes from the chiller to the fermenter.

This clarifies his beer as well as doing a pre chill.

He has to scrape the spider every so often to free up the mesh to stop it overflowing
Is that instead of a whirlpool? I'm doing a brew tomorrow so might give it a go

I don't do that- and using a hop spider, I don't bother with a whirlpool. I have, however, forgotten to attach the filter before mashing in. Not recommended.

Back