New toy

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did a Timothy Taylor Landlord on Sunday. All went well but had two issues

1) Some idiot knocked the hydrometer over and now its in bit in the bin!
2) Although I did a whirlpool and left it to stand for 15mins, the pump filter & the spring/ball in the security outlet really got clogged up and I had to keep taking the end off and clearing the spring. In the end it just stopped pumping and I was about 1.5 ltrs short

So will have to buy another hydrometer and I may try a hop spider for the nest brew??

Did a Timothy Taylor Landlord on Sunday. All went well but had two issues

1) Some idiot knocked the hydrometer over and now its in bit in the bin!
2) Although I did a whirlpool and left it to stand for 15mins, the pump filter & the spring/ball in the security outlet really got clogged up and I had to keep taking the end off and clearing the spring. In the end it just stopped pumping and I was about 1.5 ltrs short

So will have to buy another hydrometer and I may try a hop spider for the nest brew??
1. You won't be the first, you won' be the last either.
2. Odd, as Landlord shouldn't have a huge amount of hops. For a standard ale, I find that the simple hop filter on the pump inlet does a good enough job of filtering out the hops (even the pellet mush you get) without it clogging in the pipe. For >75g of hops in the kettle, I'll always use a hop spider. That should happily solve your clogging issues.

2. Odd, as Landlord shouldn't have a huge amount of hops. For a standard ale, I find that the simple hop filter on the pump inlet does a good enough job of filtering out the hops (even the pellet mush you get) without it clogging in the pipe. For >75g of hops in the kettle, I'll always use a hop spider. That should happily solve your clogging issues.
When I bought a pump I also bought an inline filter. However I found that it clogged very quickly so I use the pump without it now.
If I am using whole hops in the boil I use a mesh "bazooka" filter to avoid clogging the pump.
But when using pellets I remove that because the debris is fine enough not to clog the pump, but would completely block the bazooka.

it had 100g of hops...30g East Kent Goldings & 30g Styrian Celeia @90, 20g Styrian Celeia @10 & 20g Styrian Celeia at 0. So should have used a hop spider?

Latest posts

Back