Newbie in Cumbria

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devyhead

Reaction score
A big hello to you all from me here in Cumbria!
I am a lover of beer and ale (naturally) and enjoy sampling anything I can get my hands on. My girlfriend got me a Youngs homebrew kit for christmas, and I have just now dug it out! Seeing as it was something I seen myself getting into (making my own beer? Yes please!) I thought I should join a forum to try and get some tips and share my forthcoming experiences brewing beer. Any quick hints with my starter kit would be most appreciated! :cheers:

Ey up is that a Marra wandering in :?: welcome to the forum buddy :thumb:

bobsbeer said:
Welcome Devy. Glad to see another Cumbrian on the forum. What kit are you making? :cheers:

It's the bitter one. I was thinking of trying to give it a bit more flavour, but I figure I'll keep it simple for my first attempt :lol:

devyhead said:
bobsbeer said:
Welcome Devy. Glad to see another Cumbrian on the forum. What kit are you making? :cheers:

It's the bitter one. I was thinking of trying to give it a bit more flavour, but I figure I'll keep it simple for my first attempt :lol:

I would make it as instructed for your first brew. Then you have something to compare future brews to. Having said that I would use Beer Enhancer rather than granulated sugar.

bobsbeer said:
I would make it as instructed for your first brew. Then you have something to compare future brews to. Having said that I would use Beer Enhancer rather than granulated sugar.

Is this same as brewing sugar? It says to use that on the kit (or granulated; but from my minimal research, it seems best to avoid normal sugar), but I would like to get the best taste without making it too complicated (for now) :lol:

devyhead said:
bobsbeer said:

Is this same as brewing sugar? It says to use that on the kit (or granulated; but from my minimal research, it seems best to avoid normal sugar), but I would like to get the best taste without making it too complicated (for now) :lol:

Yes. It's a blend of dried malt extract (DME) and glucose (AKA Brewing Sugar). It can be got from most HB shops and is well worth the extra cost compared to granulated sugar. Just replace this instead of normal sugar.

Back