Newbie question on Secondary Fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GaSh65

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi folks, hope you're all keeping well?
I'm on my fourth batch and am thoroughly enjoying the whole process.
I have a FV I bought from Wilko and have bottled the first three batches. I now also have a King Keg and intend to bottle a few (to give away and for comparison), but will put most of it in the barrel.
My question is, the instructions (a Wilko Stout kit) suggest I could skip secondary fermentation if I'm using a pressure barrel, as the CO2 will carbonate the beer.
I'd not thought of this.
So is it a) a good idea, b) does it mean that I will still need to leave the beer a while before drinking, and therefore c) is it the same timeframe of two days in room temperature and then two weeks somewhere a little colder?
Thanks in advance for any help.

You'll need to prime the keg with about 90g of sugar to enable the yeast to produce c02 and carbonate the beer. The keg will need at least a week in a warm place for this to happen,then needs moving to somewhere cool to condition.

You'll need to prime the keg with about 90g of sugar to enable the yeast to produce c02 and carbonate the beer. The keg will need at least a week in a warm place for this to happen,then needs moving to somewhere cool to condition.
Thanks Clint. So I'd still need to add sugar, but would that be brewing sugar like with primary fermentation or the carbonation drops I use in the bottles?

Dextrose or silver spoon are fine.
So just to double check, household sugar is a no-no for primary, but for barrel priming, it's fine?

Also, is 90g the amount regardless of the beer volume or is that just for the full 40 pint batch? Therefore a percentage of that if a lesser amount is used, due to my bottling a few?

You can add sugar for fermentation but you'll get a "thinner" beer...as in a single can kit and a kilo of sugar. Adding a few 100g to a two can kit/ extract or an all grain recipe will give a little dryness and boost the abv.
The 90g to plastic kegs is due to the safe operating pressure...around 15psi. If you're bottling a few just knock the g's off your keg amount.

Latest posts

Back