Newbie shopping list

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scott1986

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a 45lt Hopcat on order and I'm starting to over-think things, I think.
What should be on my shopping list to get me going with a first brew or two?

I like the idea of having more than one fermentation on the go at a time, and will be hopefully brewing predominantly pale/IPA style beer. Who knows.

Frementasaurus? plastic bin? Recipe kit? Individual ingredients? 12 pack from the supermarket?

Eggs, milk, bananas... Sorry wrong shopping list.

@scott1986, have you brewed kits before, its normally a good starting point. However if you have a Hopcat on order is best you start with a basic All Grains recipe, possibly a SMaSH (single malt, single hop).

Having never brewed with a Hopcat, I'm not best placed to offer a recipe, but have a search of the forum and I'm sure there will be some simple recommendations.

Cheers, Nick

Hi all,

I like the idea of having more than one fermentation on the go at a time, and will be hopefully brewing predominantly pale/IPA style beer. Who knows.

Frementasaurus? plastic bin? Recipe kit? Individual ingredients? 12 pack from the supermarket?
I'm assuming that you have not brewed all grain before and if my advice would be to buy 25kg pale malt and a variety of hops and yeast.
You've got to learn to dial your system in which will take a few brews so whilst learning how to brew you could start with a simple SMASH (single malt and single Hops) or two then mix up your hops keeping your base grain simple and this will also help you understand the flavour, aroma characters that your grain, hops and yeast bring to your brew..

Scott, I forgot to mention, yes you will need a few fermentation vessels. They will need to match the size of your brews, with a little extra room. The wort (beer before it's beer), will need to sit in these fermentation vessels for around 2 weeks, with your beer likely not ready till 4 weeks after that. Whilst in the fermentation vessel the beer will need to be held at a constant temperature (varies by yeast).

You will also have to give some consideration to how you want to store/serve your beer. Most popular options are kegs or bottles. Both come with their own advantages and disadvantages.

Brewing is a great hobby, with always more to learn!

Cheers, Nick

Hi all,

as well as the ingredients suggested, I would suggest

2 * basic 25 litre fermentation buckets
2 airlocks
bottle of chemsan
Hydrometer and sample jar
Syphon
Paddle or similar for mashing in

and then stuff suitable for your chosen storage method e.g. Bottling bucket, litt!e bottler, caps, capper, bottles

Back