Next Brew: Hefeweizen (some help needed please)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pinchy

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi all,

After looking at other recipes and info (including step mash) on the forum this is what i have come up with:

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Hefeweizen
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Style: Weizen/Weissbier
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 34.50 l
Post Boil Volume: 27.23 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l
Bottling Volume: 21.60 l
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 6.8 EBC
Estimated IBU: 11.9 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 79.7 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
3.40 kg Wheat Malt, Ger (3.9 EBC) Grain 1 64.2 %
1.90 kg Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (3.9 EBC) Grain 2 35.8 %
28.00 g Hallertauer Hersbrucker [3.00 %] - Boil Hop 3 8.7 IBUs
22.00 g Hallertauer Hersbrucker [3.00 %] - Boil Hop 4 3.2 IBUs
1.0 pkg German Wheat (Wyeast Labs #3333) [124.21 Yeast 5 -

Mash Schedule: BIAB Hefeweizen Step Mash
Total Grain Weight: 5.30 kg
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash Step Add 37.74 l of water at 42.3 C 41.0 C 20 min
Mash Step Add 0.00 l of water at 50.0 C 50.0 C 20 min
Mash Step Add 0.00 l of water at 64.0 C 64.0 C 20 min
Mash Step Add 0.00 l of water at 72.0 C 72.0 C 30 min

Sparge: If steeping, remove grains, and prepare to boil wort
Notes:
------

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've got some questions.......

Firstly Yeast; From what I have read I think I would have been better off with Wyeast Weihenstephan 3068 instead of Wyeast German Wheat 3333. What impacts will this have? Will it still make a decent beer? Has anyone here used the 3333 yeast?

Also I would like to know more about mash temps. What tempuratures are recomended and if there are any different stages etc?

Thanks in advance :thumb:
Pinchy

Aleman said:

Thanks Aleman :thumb: . Would that fermentation profile work as well for Wyeast German Wheat 3333?

I forgot to mention that I already have all of the ingredients in my recipe including the 3333 yeast :oops:

I've not used that strain, but as it is a German yeast strain, it should give the appropriate flavour profile, and it's the German Rule of 30 so should apply.

Some yeast strains give more clove, some more banana, some are neutral. I'd try it and see

Cool I will definitely give the Wyeast 333 a try as I already have it. Along with the ferminting profile. Hopefuly it will turn out nice :).

Thanks mate,
Carl

Hi avoid mashing at 50c , change it to 55c .This will help will better head retention . And the wyeast 3333 is the white labs 380 my fav yeast by far , i recommend 20c .
Looking good as as you have it . :thumb:

Awesome that's given me more confidence in the yeast cheers mate :thumb: .

Would you guys recommend pitching the yeast at 12 deg then raising the temp to 20deg?

Aleman you mention under pitching in your recipe I have also read this is good and over pitching can cause a complete loss of banana flavours? So do you guys think I should use the smack pack and only pour 3/4 of it in or something?

Also would doing a mashout at 76ish deg be beneficial? As I'm a BIABer :D

You do need less yeast but a fresh vial/pack is only just enough so your pack is most likely a few months old etc . I would use the lot . Don't worry about the rule of thumb , that was because of lack of control on temp control . Mix well pitch at 15c mix some more , raise to 20c . Loosing Banana isn't as much of an issue with step mashing .

I prefer 3068 to 3333 for the flavour profile but that's just my taste. Whenever I've used 3333, it's been much cleaner than 3068 and not in a good way. I love the banana and clove that I get with 3068.

pittsy said:
You do need less yeast but a fresh vial/pack is only just enough so your pack is most likely a few months old etc . I would use the lot . Don't worry about the rule of thumb , that was because of lack of control on temp control . Mix well pitch at 15c mix some more , raise to 20c . Loosing Banana isn't as much of an issue with step mashing .

Cool thats great to know. Step mashing seems like the way to go! So easy usisng BIAB too!
Does the raise to 20c need to take place over a certain amount of time? or can it be just as quickly as my fermentation fridge can do it?

phettebs said:
I prefer 3068 to 3333 for the flavour profile but that's just my taste. Whenever I've used 3333, it's been much cleaner than 3068 and not in a good way. I love the banana and clove that I get with 3068.

Yeah this is what I've read thats made me question the yeast choice haha. As I've got the 3333 I'll give it a go first then try the 3068 for the next one I brew to see the difference :D .

Pinchy said:
pittsy said:

Cool thats great to know. Step mashing seems like the way to go! So easy usisng BIAB too!
Does the raise to 20c need to take place over a certain amount of time? or can it be just as quickly as my fermentation fridge can do it?
Just get your brew to 15c if poss (i usually get it to around 16/18c and give up ) pitch then pop into your fridge set to 20c it'll take 12 or so hours to reach temp , that's all i do .

pittsy said:
Just get your brew to 15c if poss (i usually get it to around 16/18c and give up ) pitch then pop into your fridge set to 20c it'll take 12 or so hours to reach temp , that's all i do .

Cool will do :). I will add a brewday when the time comes. Can't wait!

Latest posts

Back