No rinse oxi cleaner

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have heard of it, don’t trust it.

In theory, most detergents and certainly sodium percarbonate based ones are effective at sanitisation. The difficulty is in using it at a low enough concentration to not leave a residue while also at a high enough concentration to break down biofilm.

Personally I prefer to use a cleaner at a decent concentration to remove anything that might harbour infection, and a sanitiser to kill anything that might drift onto the equipment after cleaning (e.g. lactobacillus covered grain dust).

I’ve been using it for a while. It’s sodium percobonate. I’ve had no issues with either infection or aftertaste and you don’t have the foam that starsan delivers on the occasions that you don’t want it.

Hi i have never used it but i do use oxi from B&M is this not something thats tarted up at maybe 3 times the price

I do too, but would never consider it "no rinse". Certainly not at the levels I use it at, which are commesurate with the price😂
I’ve been using it for a while. It’s sodium percobonate. I’ve had no issues with either infection or aftertaste and you don’t have the foam that starsan delivers on the occasions that you don’t want it.
So do you clean with it then consider that your equipment sanitised? Or do you follow up with a sanitiser too?

So do you clean with it then consider that your equipment sanitised? Or do you follow up with a sanitiser too?

I clean first, the level of cleansing depends on how much gunk needs shifting. I use this to ensure that clean equipment has not been colonised with undesirable organisms. I’m generally filling clean fermenters or kegs with the 4g/l solution and dumping one into the other depending on what stage of the process I’m at.

Just out of curiosity i would love to know what they used in days gone by, say back in the 30s or 50s

I can only talk for my dad and the 70s but he used thin bleach, or boiling water. Like jam jars, bottles were cleaned in hottest water you could touch and then baked in the oven.

Back