NOG problem

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbie.

Reaction score
Hi all.

Need some help. This is the second batch of NOG that we have brewed and both have ended up flat. Bottled at 1.010 and is a month in the bottle. Bottles we’re primed! Is NOG supposed to be gassy. Tastes great though! Never had a failure making other kits. Any advice? Many thanks.

Robbie.

What is NOG?
What sort of bottle?
What did you prime with?
What temperature was it stored at after priming and for how long?
Woodfordes NOG
500ml green
sugar
cool (same as all the other beers we’ve made). Stored after priming, first bottles opened after one month.

Woodfordes NOG
500ml green
sugar
cool (same as all the other beers we’ve made). Stored after priming, first bottles opened after one month.
Bottles. Screw top, crown cap or flip top? Are you sure they were sealed properly?
Sugar - How much per bottle?
Cool - How cool? It is usual to carbonated at fermentation temperature for a week or so before conditioning at a cooler temperature.

Approx 2 weeks warm after bottling to suit the yeast. I crack onecto check its carbinated up. Then cool, when it is.

If the residual yeast consumed the priming sugar, then it will have produced CO2 gas.
If gas was produced then it can only go one of two places: either dissolved into the beer, or leaked out of the bottles.
So if the beer is flat there are three possibilities:
  1. The yeast didn’t consume the priming sugar
  2. There wasn’t enough priming sugar to make sufficient gas
  3. The gas leaked out of the bottles.
From experience I’d say the most likely answer is (3) but (2) is also possible.

Bottles. Screw top, crown cap or flip top? Are you sure they were sealed properly?
Sugar - How much per bottle?
Cool - How cool? It is usual to carbonated at fermentation temperature for a week or so before conditioning at a cooler temperature.
Cap! Sealed properly.
Half teaspoon.
Will measure temp in store room. I’ve noted your and
’clibs’ comment on temp. I’ve noticed that my last batch of ‘Nelsons’ (Woodfordes) had a much more creamer head the longer it was in the bottle. However the last batch of NOG was flat to the last bottle.

I’ll leave this batch of NOG for another month and try it again in case the fermentation is taking longer due to the cooler temp in the store. Although the other beers are all made, bottled, and stored in the same way, perhaps NOG just needs that wee bit extra warmth to kick start the bottle fermentation.

Thanks for your comments guys. Much appreciated

Half a teaspoon should be fine, I've done that with over 200 brews and every one has gassed up. It might just be that the room you've used isn't warm enough, ideally 18C or more for 2 weeks then store cooler. It's nothing to do with the actual brew (Nog), that fermented out just like any other beer.

I assume you've used the same bottles as previous brews? Some people (can't find the thread) have reported that certain bottles (reused commercial ones I think - but can't honestly remember) didn't hold pressure even though they appeared to have been capped properly

Personnaly I prefer it to be less carbonated. Only problem that I I can see woukd be oxidation, but if the bottle was full enough thus won't matter anyway.
Drink and enjoy!

Latest posts

Back