Novatwist screwcaps

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flan

Reaction score
I’m looking at doing a wine kit and may use these caps. This is the cheapest i have found up to now. Anyone have any experience with these.
E3F04855-FA79-4AC8-8305-BBB644E0CCED.png

Could you not just collect wine bottles that already have screw tops - that’s what I do!!

Could you not just collect wine bottles that already have screw tops - that’s what I do!!
Yes I’m thinking of that too, i was just wondering for the sake of possible dodgy or damaged caps it might be a decent alternative at around 15p a cap.

I use these ....lots 😊 They are excellent, and far more reusable than trying to reuse the metal caps from old bottles which risk leaking. The Novatwist ones are nice the first time used in that they are a one piece that shows whether the bottle has been opened, however the caps can be reused multiple times and are designed for this. They are far more robust that the foil or plastic sleeve on commercial bottles so stay looking smart over the times of reuse.

Issues - a couple, occasionally with some designs of bottle the screw thread isn't very deep and if you over tighten the cap it damages the plastic so that the thread slips and then leaks, I've had this happen with a couple of bottles and it is very bottle specific. Similarly, a small number of bottles have a shape that makes fitting the collar sleeve a bit tight but I've not had any that won't fit at all.

The gold coloured ones are the nicest for white wine in my view, I started with the black ones but have gone off them a bit. Due to their reusability, I've a bagful of unused ones to top up the bottle supply for breakages or bottles that slip through the recycling filter into the glass box!

Anna

I use these ....lots 😊 They are excellent, and far more reusable than trying to reuse the metal caps from old bottles which risk leaking. The Novatwist ones are nice the first time used in that they are a one piece that shows whether the bottle has been opened, however the caps can be reused multiple times and are designed for this. They are far more robust that the foil or plastic sleeve on commercial bottles so stay looking smart over the times of reuse.

Issues - a couple, occasionally with some designs of bottle the screw thread isn't very deep and if you over tighten the cap it damages the plastic so that the thread slips and then leaks, I've had this happen with a couple of bottles and it is very bottle specific. Similarly, a small number of bottles have a shape that makes fitting the collar sleeve a bit tight but I've not had any that won't fit at all.

The gold coloured ones are the nicest for white wine in my view, I started with the black ones but have gone off them a bit. Due to their reusability, I've a bagful of unused ones to top up the bottle supply for breakages or bottles that slip through the recycling filter into the glass box!

Anna
Thanks Anna, good to know

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back