Refilling a sodastream bottle - help!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phildo79

Reaction score
Anyone got experience of doing this? I have all the necessary equipment but am a tad concerned about the safety aspect. Is it worth taking the risk for the sake of a £13 refill (it's probably more now)?

I'm worried the sodastream cylinder will explode in my face. Is that even possible? I know my gas guy would tell me not to even contemplate it. He boxed me off about using an adapter for nitro with a co2 reg. The consequences of ballsing that up aren't even worth thinking about.

My feeling is that working with pressurised gas should not be taken lightly and probably done by professionals. And £13 isn't worth losing an eye (or your life) over.

It’s easy and I don’t think unsafe with Kegland style adapter…watch the videos. I do it and never felt at risk. Someone may correct me, but my understanding is that the pressure is the same on both canisters so you’re at no more risk than opening up with no regulator connected.

The biggest issue I find is the freeze, so I always use good grippy ski gloves.

I should also note that when I get my large co2 filled, the guy does it in front of me with only gloves as safety gear. It’s a similar process they use with a flex hose and a digital scale for the weight.

Agreed, main risk is a cold burn so wear gloves, wrap in towel.
Better results if you freeze the sodastream cylinder before starting. Donor cylinder warm. Heed the type of valve you have on the top of your sodastream as some seal shut if you try to refill too quickly, so start very slow as per the kegland video.

Not sure about sodastream, but guess it will be same as a an S30 cylinder, in being filled with liquid CO2, not CO2 gas.
A gas fill, wouldn't get you far in pressurising anything else.

Normally, a CO2 cylinder, such as pub or welding one, with regulator, is designed that when upright, it dispenses CO2 gas. The cylinder contains a mixture of liquid an gaseous CO2, with liquid at the bottom.

I used to refill S30 cylinders from welding CO2.
I had open the fill valve with the source CO2 cylinder inverted, then liquid CO2 is transferred.
Emptying after an initial part fill, cooled the S30. Then it was possible to fill completely - going by the TARE weight marked.

When I used to take the large cylinder for a refill, they always did it behind a explosion screen!

Not sure about sodastream, but guess it will be same as a an S30 cylinder, in being filled with liquid CO2, not CO2 gas.
A gas fill, wouldn't get you far in pressurising anything else.

Normally, a CO2 cylinder, such as pub or welding one, with regulator, is designed that when upright, it dispenses CO2 gas. The cylinder contains a mixture of liquid an gaseous CO2, with liquid at the bottom.

I used to refill S30 cylinders from welding CO2.
I had open the fill valve with the source CO2 cylinder inverted, then liquid CO2 is transferred.
Emptying after an initial part fill, cooled the S30. Then it was possible to fill completely - going by the TARE weight marked.

When I used to take the large cylinder for a refill, they always did it behind a explosion screen!
What connector did you use for the S30?
I have an S30 as well and might be able to refill it. Nowhere in New Zealand that I can take it to that's for sure.

I gave up on this some time ago. Often fails and even if it does work you don't get a very full fill even if you chill your Sodastream bottle in a freezer before hand.

Just so much easier and less faff taking the step to get a proper co2 cylinder and regulator. Gives you so much more flexibility and isn't that expensive in the grand scheme of things.

I gave up on this some time ago. Often fails and even if it does work you don't get a very full fill even if you chill your Sodastream bottle in a freezer before hand.

Just so much easier and less faff taking the step to get a proper co2 cylinder and regulator. Gives you so much more flexibility and isn't that expensive in the grand scheme of things.
I have all that. I only use my sodastream when I take a half keg to a mates house. I bought the adapter ages ago but just find the whole process a bit daunting. Mixed opinions online only make me question it more. It is interesting though, how many people seem to be having difficulty getting it to actually work.

I seen a video of a fella using frozen co2 pellets to refill one. I think my gas guy sells them. Would seem a less dangerous option.

My feeling is that working with pressurised gas should not be taken lightly and probably done by professionals. And £13 isn't worth losing an eye (or your life) over.
Do remember you are not working with pressurised gas; you are working with a liquid "gas". And liquids don't flow uphill. This needs some heavy cylinder gymnastics which doesn't make things easier and safer.

...Would seem a less dangerous option.
You think so?

Actually ... moving high-pressure/liquid gas doesn't have to be dangerous ... as long as you're aware it can be and don't do anything daft.

Trouble is, humans are daft! I'm haunted by some daft dangerous things I've done in the past (I used to handle high explosives too!).

Ask @MashBag, he'll tell you how safe it is (come on @MashBag, show him how safe it is ... take those gloves off that you always wear for some reason and ask him to count your fingers.).

Ask @MashBag, he'll tell you how safe it is (come on @MashBag, show him how safe it is ... take those gloves off that you always wear for some reason and ask him to count your fingers.).

Both of them 🤣🤣

People are scared of flying until they understand it.
I understand it. I do not consider it unsafe.

I do however find it alarming that "autogas" filling stations don't recommend gloves. If it escapes (co2 or propane) you will get a very nasty cold burn. It may need surgery.

People are scared of flying until they understand it.
I understand it. I do not consider it unsafe.
What? The gas handling, or the flying?

I guess I wasn't too bothered by the flying either ... the hang-gliding was probably the dodgiest. Though, with that, and the explosives, the climbing, mountain biking .... it was the horse-riding that trashed me! And yet those gas cylinders, especially filling the things, terrifies the pants off me.

Ironically, the horse-riding I can still do.

But, I bet, I'm most likely to come unstuck opening a bottle of milk.

Latest posts

Back