Nut Brown Ale mooting

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could add some carafa and loads of American hops and make a Cascadian Dark Gravy.

Just so you all don't think I'm completely barmy...

http://www.homebrewportal.com/bjcp-style/historical-beer-london-brown-ale

"...healthy proportion of darker caramel malts and often some roasted (black) malt and wheat malt (this is Mann’s traditional grist – others can rely on dark sugars for color and flavor). Moderate to high carbonate water. English hop varieties are most authentic, though with low flavor and bitterness almost any type could be used. Post-fermentation sweetening with lactose or artificial sweeteners, or sucrose (if pasteurized). "

Just so you all don't think I'm completely barmy...

http://www.homebrewportal.com/bjcp-style/historical-beer-london-brown-ale

"...healthy proportion of darker caramel malts and often some roasted (black) malt and wheat malt (this is Mann’s traditional grist – others can rely on dark sugars for color and flavor). Moderate to high carbonate water. English hop varieties are most authentic, though with low flavor and bitterness almost any type could be used. Post-fermentation sweetening with lactose or artificial sweeteners, or sucrose (if pasteurized). "

Can't seen any mention of bisto in there, so I'm not interested ;-):tongue:

Since I can tell you're all dead keen to try this recipe I'm going to give you the instructions

"Brahn Ale"
1lb Bran
2oz Hops (sic)
2lb Demerara sugar
Gravy browning (this would have been liquid caramel then)
Yeast & nutrient
3 gallons water

Boil two gallons water, add sugar, hops, bran, 2 tsp gravy browning. Boil gently for 11/2 hours. Strain into fermenter.

You know how to do the rest. I want the reviews of this.

That reminds me of a heated argument I once had with someone. They found out I was doing my own mashing and were determined to give me their dad's recipe, In in it were such horrors as black treacle, boiled rice, cold strong tea, dark brown sugar and bread yeast.

No malt or hops.

I very pleasantly pointed out that this wasn't really beer, (I think she thought I would be straight to the shops to grab some black treacle), and explained that it wasn't the type of thing I did. I was held in great distain and treated to a sort of snooty "Well it worked for my dad" (I bet it did low alcohol and high in fermentation by products giving him a very sore head that following morning). She would not listen when I tried to explain that it isn't really beer.

Oh well it's just a true story

Rob, having now actually read you OP, I think your talking about 'Southern Brown Ale' . Here's what the BJCP have to say about it

http://www.bjcp.org/styles04/Category11.php#style11B
Southern English Brown

Aroma: Malty-sweet, often with a rich, caramel or toffee-like character. Moderately fruity, often with notes of dark fruits such as plums and/or raisins. Very low to no hop aroma. No diacetyl.

Appearance: Light to dark brown, and can be almost black. Nearly opaque, although should be relatively clear if visible. Low to moderate off-white to tan head.

Flavor: Deep, caramel-like malty sweetness on the palate and lasting into the finish. May have a moderate dark fruit complexity. Low hop bitterness. Hop flavor is low to non-existent. Little or no perceivable roasty or bitter black malt flavor. Moderately sweet finish with a smooth, malty aftertaste. Low to no diacetyl.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, but residual sweetness may give a heavier impression. Low to moderately low carbonation.

Overall Impression: A luscious, malt-oriented brown ale, with a caramel, dark fruit complexity of malt flavor. May seem somewhat like a smaller version of a sweet stout or a sweet version of a dark mild.

History: English brown ales are generally split into sub-styles along geographic lines. Southern English (or "London-style") brown ales are darker, sweeter, and lower gravity than their Northern cousins.

Comments: Increasingly rare. Some consider it a bottled version of dark mild.

Ingredients: English pale ale malt as a base with a healthy proportion of darker caramel malts and often some roasted malts. Moderate to high carbonate water would appropriately balance the dark malt acidity. English hop varieties are most authentic, though with low flavor and bitterness almost any type could be used.

Commercial Examples: Mann's Brown Ale (bottled, but not available in the US), Tolly Cobbold Cobnut Nut Brown Ale

I always find BYO.com useful for style guides. Here's the brown ale

http://byo.com/malt/item/336-brown-ale-style-of-the-month

Latest posts

Back