NZ and English Pale ales

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMumbler

Landlord.
Reaction score
Since tomorrow is the anniversary of my first AG brew I'm putting a brew on

The idea is to mash enough grain for a 40l brew and then split into 2 20l boils for two different beers. I'm thinking two pale ales one hopped with English hops and one with NZ hops. It is a user-upper so the grain bill is a touch odd but I think it should work.

Recipe Gravity 1.050
Estimated FG 1.012
Alcohol by Volume 4.8%

Recipe Color 12 SRM

Ingredients
6.25 kg Maris Otter Malt
1.00 kg German Munich
0.50 kg Flaked Maize
0.40 kg Imperial Malt
0.25 kg Crystal Rye

English Pale Ale (20l) - 45 EBU
EKG (5.2%) 50g @ 60 mins
EKG (5.2%) 50g @ 15 mins
EKG (5.2%) 50g @ 0 mins

NZ Pale Ale - (20l) 46 IBU
Green Bullet (13.7%) 20g @ 60 min
Pacific Gem (14%) 20g @ 15 min
Pacific Gem (14%) 30g @ 0 min

I have spare Green Bullet and EKG for extra hopping and would like to have it ready to drink for Christmas. Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

Sorry but my only suggestion is for you to send me a bottle of each. :P

Seriously, I think that is a fantastic idea. I hope it goes well. :thumb:

My suggestion is bitter with the pacific gem and flavour with loads of ekg.

& draw of 5-6ltrs of the strong worts at the end of the mash then boil it down in a pan to about 3ltrs, then add it back into the main brew, this will lush it up.

Then send me a bottle too :grin:

UP

Thanks for the positive responses. Sounds like the plan is a goer then :)

unclepumble said:
My suggestion is bitter with the pacific gem and flavour with loads of ekg.

& draw of 5-6ltrs of the strong worts at the end of the mash then boil it down in a pan to about 3ltrs, then add it back into the main brew, this will lush it up.

Then send me a bottle too :grin:

UP

Boil down even with the munich and imperial? I've never done it so I'm tempted to have a go...

I have another 50g of EKG so I could go with a heavier 15 min and 0 min addition using purely EKG

It shouldn't have a detrimental effect it will just give you a bit more of a caramel flavour to the brew and up the body somewhat (last time I did this I had plenty of mild malt in the mash as I had no munich in stock, It made a great beer.

I found it makes the finished beer much better than not doing it.

Just bang in plenty of hops to balance the extra sweetness.

UP

I went with it for both beers. The EKG version tasted better out of the trial jar but it was stronger and sweeter so hard to tell how they'll be in 6 weeks or so. I'm going to put both of these into cornies. If they turn out well I might see if I can persuade Steve to lend me the beer gun he bought at the NCBA comp in Skipton so that I can get an expert opinion or two.

Latest posts

Back