Oak/Whisky ageing.....need a base beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kev

Landlord.
Reaction score
Not really looking for pros & cons on ageing beer in oak whisky barrels as I've got all the bits ready to go and am beginning the process this weekend.

The advice I'm looking for is thoughts as to the base beer to brew that'll eventually be aged with the whisky stained oak.

I've recently had the Brains Craft Whisky IPA which is ace. It's probably a copper/amber IPA that's been used as there's a fair bit of colour. Quite sweet without a lot of hop bitterness or aroma. The whisky really comes through.

I've also had Theakstons Distillers edition. Pretty much the same as above but more of a malty character and even less hops.

Lastly, I've been told to brew a thick porter or stout.

What would you do?

K

Porter with high FG, mash in hot so the yeast doesn't attenuate too much. The oak is quite "drying", can leave the beer tasting thin. T

I recently had the Innis and Gunn stout that is matured in a whiskey barrel and that was one of the best beers I ever had! No idea on the technical side of things though sorry .

Thanks for the replies. Think I'll go for a big chewy porter.

Going to save the oak chunks and smoke sausages with them to enjoy when the beer's ready.

Can't wait.

K

Back