De-hazyfying an existing IPA recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,
Not sure de-hazyfying is a technical term but hopefully it's understandable!
Researching my next brew and have been working on a recipe loosely based originally on Verdant Lightbulb. I've upped the bitterness and strength a little to pull it into spec for an American IPA and moved from a base of pilsner malt to MO.
If I wanted to clear it up a bit could I remove the oats and replace with an equivalent amount of base malt to retain the same OG? Also, is the mix of Caragold and Vienna malt a good way to get some maltiness, complexity and colour in there? Looking at a 67C mash to retain some body, should I up that slightly to counteract the removal of the oats. Looking to use the Verdant IPA yeast...

All suggestions welcomed, want a decent amount of bitterness coupled with a large amount of hop aroma and flavour

1643649114695.png

Flaked barley might be a good replacement for oats if you want better mouthfeel but less haziness - not the same but a good alternative. It’s what I use in my recipes where I want something that looks less like a “juice”.

Not sure I’d raise the temperature myself because you’ll also add a little residual sweetness but one or two degrees might not make much difference if you want to try it?

Vienna will give you malt, not as much as Munich, and a little sweetness. I love Vienna. My Summer Breeze is based on Pilsner, Vienna, and flaked barley.

the caragold is in the original to add a bit of sweetness to compliment the hops. Swapping in MO should help with the matiness i would have thought. what are you going for? it sounds like you are looking to make a hazy juicy and sweeter style a bit more east coast?

Hi all,
Not sure de-hazyfying is a technical term but hopefully it's understandable!
Researching my next brew and have been working on a recipe loosely based originally on Verdant Lightbulb. I've upped the bitterness and strength a little to pull it into spec for an American IPA and moved from a base of pilsner malt to MO.
If I wanted to clear it up a bit could I remove the oats and replace with an equivalent amount of base malt to retain the same OG? Also, is the mix of Caragold and Vienna malt a good way to get some maltiness, complexity and colour in there? Looking at a 67C mash to retain some body, should I up that slightly to counteract the removal of the oats. Looking to use the Verdant IPA yeast...

All suggestions welcomed, want a decent amount of bitterness coupled with a large amount of hop aroma and flavour

View attachment 62235
Have you brewed the original before or are you going with your revamped recipe first time out?
I ask as I brewed the original only last month, been in the keg a month and it's as clear as a bell!
From info on Verdant's website they use a mixed yeast pitch of Lallemand New England and US05. I co-pitched a pack of each together, fermented out in 6 days.
I think if you go with the Verdant yeast you run the risk of it being on the hazy side

Thanks for the very considered replies, gives me more to ponder, which is half the fun!

Flaked barley might be a good replacement for oats if you want better mouthfeel but less haziness - not the same but a good alternative. It’s what I use in my recipes where I want something that looks less like a “juice”.

I like the 'chew' you get with oats and wheat but trying to get that without the overly orange juice look. Maybe the two go hand in hand though...

it sounds like you are looking to make a hazy juicy and sweeter style a bit more east coast?

A bit more West Coast yes, I like how hoppy this recipe is but just prefer a bit more bite and clarity.

Have you brewed the original before or are you going with your revamped recipe first time out?

Haven't brewed it before, other than Bobvar, my take on a Czech larger which is currently chilling prior to begging later this week I've always just done clones and recipe kits, just feel like it's time to venture out a bit...

I ask as I brewed the original only last month, been in the keg a month and it's as clear as a bell!

That's interesting to know, did you use finings at all, I generally chuck in a protofloc tablet in the last 10 minutes and some Brausol, either after whirlpool or in the fermenter.

I think your right about the Verdant, I've used it before on a beer that usually clear and it was hazier than expected, I've got some MJ's M66 Hophead in the fridge so could use that. I settled on Verdant initially as it seemed the logical choice for one of their beers!

Thanks for the very considered replies, gives me more to ponder, which is half the fun!

I like the 'chew' you get with oats and wheat but trying to get that without the overly orange juice look. Maybe the two go hand in hand though...

A bit more West Coast yes, I like how hoppy this recipe is but just prefer a bit more bite and clarity.

Haven't brewed it before, other than Bobvar, my take on a Czech larger which is currently chilling prior to begging later this week I've always just done clones and recipe kits, just feel like it's time to venture out a bit...

That's interesting to know, did you use finings at all, I generally chuck in a protofloc tablet in the last 10 minutes and some Brausol, either after whirlpool or in the fermenter.

I think your right about the Verdant, I've used it before on a beer that usually clear and it was hazier than expected, I've got some MJ's M66 Hophead in the fridge so could use that. I settled on Verdant initially as it seemed the logical choice for one of their beers!
Yes I use half a protofloc 10-15 min from the end of the boil religiously, nothing else.
I'd probably say I use Verdant in 75% of my brews but went with what the Brewery use for this.

Back