Old World Russian Imperial Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kiwigaz

Reaction score
Based on a Brewdog Recipe.
Shooting for 1.085 but ended up with 1.080

10l batch into fermenter with Whc Bond Ale yeast.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 53
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 47
So some thoughts this morning,

looks like efficiencies were at 65% for this high gravity beer ( my first and only my second all grain beer to date

I was aiming for 6 points higher. In hindsight if I had boiled for a little longer and lost 600ml I would have arrived at my target.
I started out on the kitchen hob but moved outside to the gas ring which was better able to keep a rolling boil. Maybe next time it would be closer using the gas ring for the whole boil?

I gave sparging a go at 75 degC too. I originally intended to use 5 litres but ended up using 2 litres in the kettle to maintain mash temp(90 min mash)
5DFA0C92-A637-4F47-A80A-5620695888FF.jpeg

Despite wrapping in two duvets it did drop about 5 degrees. A quick top up with 1 litre at 30 mins and an hour helped. I found rocking the plastic bucket helped to stabilise temps too.
Anyone have any suggestions on how I could improve this brew in future?
Still learning and very grateful for the experience of the members on this forum

As it's your second attempt I don't think you've done a bad job at all!
All set ups are different and produce different efficiency...you can change things to try and improve but consistency is the first thing you should aim for.

Gravity reading at 1.012 so a bit more attenuation than planned.
How do you control attenuation?

Latest posts

Back