On The Rocks - Cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sailaice

Reaction score
Got an 'On the Rocks' kit last Friday and its been on the go since. Mine is the Blueberry flavour

My cousin also got one, his is the Raspberry and Lime one.

Does anyone else regularly do these kits and which are your favourite?

Any recommendations for how long to stand it for in the bottles as I have read some funny reviews on them being 'eggy'

I've made the mixed berry one, very nice brew IMO. I left mines for just over a month, no eggy smell at all, to me it's not very kopparberg-y at all, the flavour is much less intense but that still doesn't stop it being far to easy to knock them back :drunk:

I'd live to hear how the blueberry one turns out I've been eyeing it up!

At the moment I have the raspberry and lime one on the go just now, needless to say SWMBO is very happy :P

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I've done a On The Rocks raspberry and lime one. Really not impressed, after 6 months in the bottles it still tastes horrible so I'm now leaving it until xmas. It took 2-3 months for the eggy smell to go as well.

Hopefully your ones will turn out better then mine :thumb:

I didn't think that I would have to wait so long to drink it.... I expected it to be ready straight away but can now see that it would be prudent to leave it bottled for a few month which is disappointing as I have nothing to drink :D

I have heard talk of a Spiced Apple one, but googling hasn't found me it... could it be a cider myth?

sailaice said:
Any recommendations for how long to stand it for in the bottles as I have read some funny reviews on them being 'eggy'

I never had the eggy smell with anything I made until last month when I started a dandelion wine and a nettle wine. I think it's a function of a high ferment temp. Should clear with a few good shakes of the fermenter, I reckon.

As a general rule, kits take a while to mature, but making it from scratch is more drinkable early on.

The spiced apple one was about last xmas as a limited edition, and I'm kicking myself for not buying one when I saw it. I'm hoping it's about again this year!

I thought that ones made from scratch needed longer to mature, and kits were brewed and drinkable much faster?

I hope the same! I will definately buy it if it comes out at Christmas it sounds right up my street I love spiced apple!

:party:

I disagree with the bad reviews on the OTR raspberry and lime. I had very good results with a few alterations i made. Mine tastes lovely with great carbonation and not a single hint of eggyness. Its only been in the bottle for 2 and a half weeks. This is my experience anyway but i would happily reccomend it.
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=40021

Yeah - i am not overly impressed with this cider - much prefer the plain apple one - it tastes very artificial to me.

Would recommend drinking at 1-2 degrees with plenty of ice and a slice of lemon to improve the flavour.

Latest posts

Back