Oops. Have I just ruined my brew?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flamenco

Reaction score
I sterilised my FV and then rather stupidly poured in the malt extract without rinsing it. It is my 24th brew so I really should have known better but I'd done it before realising. I couldn't think of a way to remove the extract so just carried on as if I had rinsed it. I had used a sanitiser - 1 tsp per 5 litres - (the label says it has a chlorine donor with Sodium Dichloroisocyanurate, dihydrate). So my question - is it worth carrying on with this brew, or is there a "fix" I can apply or should I just tip it away and start again?
Sorry if I've posted in the wrong forum thread.

Is it a "no rinse" sanitiser?

Does it have a brand name?

How much was there in the FV when you added the extract?

Years ago, I made a brew that tasted strongly of brillo pad soap and with hindsight, I should have cut my losses long before I did.

No it's a standard 1 tsp per 5 L dissolving type - called SupaKlense from the local brewshop. They make it up themselves I think but it is not a no rinse Starsan type (which I use for my bottles)
Thanks for the reply.

Beer is usually bloody resilient to brewday cockups but a dose of chlorine based sanaitiser in the brew wont do it any good, even if not strong enough to kil the yeast when you add em it will impart an off flavour in the brew.

however like all things eaten/drunk its all a matter of taste, so if the yeast does start off ok carry in and use it as a practice run to sus out your bottling/kegging procedure to fit your brewery ;)

But get a 2nd brew on asap,

cleaning and sanitation products are a costly consumable when brewing, especially if you like me go a bit ocd, with cleaning/sanitising both in and out of a brew.. rather than use a single expensive product which needs a lot of rinsing (3 to 5 x is recommended for bleach based products) I use cheap generic unscented laundry oxi to clean, and once rinsed off use a no rinse sanitiser 5Star-Starsan in a trigger spray bottle to sanitise..

starsan and its equivalents costs upto £15 a bottle, but as u use 8ml per 5l batch, and apply via a 1l trigger mist spray bottle, And its reusable!! And it stays active mixed up in the bottle for months,(with the right water) It goes a hell of a long way, so works out very very cheap as long as you keep brewing..

What about throwing a campden tablet into it? It might kill the yeast, but if you stir it in and leave if for 24hrs then it should get rid of any residual chlorine, without damaging the brew. Then repitch 24 or 48hrs later with fresh yeast.

Could someone say whether I'm talking a load of rubbish here? It makes sense to me and I think would work.

What about throwing a campden tablet into it? It might kill the yeast, but if you stir it in and leave if for 24hrs then it should get rid of any residual chlorine, without damaging the brew. Then repitch 24 or 48hrs later with fresh yeast.

Could someone say whether I'm talking a load of rubbish here? It makes sense to me and I think would work.

afaik when the reactive chlorine based chemicals come into contact with the organic material in the wort the reaction for the off taste has happened, so a campden tab now would have no beneficial effect.

You might as well finish the brew. Have a taste at the bottling stage and if it's tainted be prepared to tip it straight down the sink. But it might be ok, so take it to that stage at least.

I have carried on with the brew - fermentation got going quite vigorously and seems to be proceeding ok. The amount of sanitiser left in FV was just the last drips having poured it all away. I simply forgot to rinse with clean water before putting in the can of wort. It's a Brewferm Abdij brew only 9L so quite high in alcohol content which might help?

I will carry on and bottle in another 7 or 8 days and then try a sample after another week or so just to see if there is an obvious taint.

I have made this beer before and found it improved massively after a year (yes!) in the bottle, so even if it isn't good when I try it, I will probably store the bottles away in the garage in case time rescues it.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help.

I would bottle after three weeks or so. Allow the yeast time to clean the beer up before bottling. I reckon it will be ready to drink sooner if you do that, and your bottles will have less sediment.

Latest posts

Back