Orange wine 3 ways

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moley

Regular.
Reaction score
Batch number 1301 (being my first of 2013) was started on 9th February, being a WOW-type using Aldi's Exotic juice, which IIRC contained orange, pineapple & banana.

1302a, b and c just started.

I wouldn't usually faff around with singles but I have recently joined a local wine circle in the hope of finding out if my wines are actually any good, or learning how I might be able to improve them.

They hold quarterly competitions. This month they judged last year's 'kit' wine, an elderberry dessert wine and a social red.

My sweet elderberry was highly commended but wasn't sweet enough and not sufficiently full bodied for the class. It might have placed if I had entered it as a Social Red. My social red was a good table wine but also not in keeping with the category. Lessons learned.

Their 'kit' wines are where every member has to do their best with the same basic ingredients supplied. Last year's kit included tinned peaches, sugar, yeast, nutrient, etc. As I wasn't a member then, I couldn't play.

For this year's 'kit' wine (to be judged next February) we have been issued with 2 litres of orange juice, a bag of sugar and a sachet of yeast, nutrients and pectolase, and must make a medium wine. I have purchased 3 kits. We must use the common ingredients but can add whatever we choose.

My 1302a is a super-WOW with 2 litres of white grape juice.

1302b has a litre of WGJ, 2 jars of honey and the zest of an orange.

1302c has 1 litre of WGJ plus a 500g bag of sultanas and the zest of an orange.

I will report the results next February.

Sounds interesting - will research what types of competitons I can find around here too - sounds like a good way to spend some time :D

Well this is interesting. I've got similar questions to you about whether my wines are actually any good or not! I've been invited to put a bottle of my blackberry and crabapple wine into my local wine society tasting. It's a dry one with lots of green tannin from the crabapples and it's going up against commercial wines probably up to about £30 per bottle. Nervous? Yes :D

Out of interest - I've got a demi of your 'Mole's elderberry wine' maturing. Was that what you served as the sweet elderberry or do you usually let that one brew through to dry?

Just checked my notes and it seems that one was a right old mixture. 25 lbs of fruit in 25 litres. Elderberries, blackberries and damsons plus red grape juice, then topped up after first racking with a damson & plum. It was fairly young (Sept. 2011), fermented out to dryness and back-sweetened to medium dry. 2 gallons bottled July 2012, 1 gallon just bottled 1st Feb with half of it brought up to 1.010, which I thought was incredibly sweet. The rest still hiding down the cellar somewhere.

It seems they regard a dessert wine as being even fuller bodied and probably at least 1.030 :shock:

Wow, and that's a decent amount of fruit too! I guess they may have been looking for something more like a port!

Latest posts

Back