Out of date beer?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcdonnan

Reaction score
Random question, but as a background, I found 4 bottles of westmalle dubbel out in the shed last week. Out of date in 2014, had 2 tonight with a bottle of the same stuff that was in date. Honestly the difference was unreal, the out of date stuff was far better, far more complex flavours, in comparison the in date bottle just tastes bland.

It has honestly surprised me how much better it tastes so why put dates on anything?

May have to start putting certain beers away now, does anyone else do this?

Rule of thumb, malty and darker beers do well with aging. Hoppy beers, not so much.

Anything with unusual yeasts such as brittanomyces develop beautifully with age.

Ageing dark or amber bottle conditioned beers is a great thing to do.

Blonds or hoppy beers aren't much good for this as hops flavour fades and oxidation will get in the way of the subtle flavours of a blond beer.

I was lucky enough to get given a 1998 fullers vintage ale and it was the best beer I've ever tasted in my life. Seriously incredible.

I'd recommend getting some Orval and putting it away so the brett flavours develop.

It has honestly surprised me how much better it tastes so why put dates on anything?

It's a legal requirement with any foodstuff but remember that a best before date is only advisory. Most things that have best before dates, i.e. tinned, jarred or bottled food provided it hasn't been opened, are good for years after the actual date.

Best before dates on food are a legal requirement and bear no relationship with beer aging. Hop and ester flavours tend to fade the most over time, so while an IPA has a peak date it will eventually become bland. Stouts and Porters actually require low levels of both so improve with age, but if too old will just taste like malt.

Storage conditions also play a big part, especially with a bottle- or keg-conditioned brew, and many beers will not only keep a long time in dark, cool, stable conditions, but improve. Like wine, changes in temperature can be as harmful as excessive temperatures, but sometimes chance creates the perfect storm.

So store your beer in as cool, dark and stable conditions as possible, but you will find the general rule of the darker the beer, the longer it will keep will apply. For example keep a pilsener in a fridge set to 2C with the light disabled, while an extra stout will keep several years in the bottom of your linen closet.

Back