Out of date kits...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looked as a group I know the Geordie range in Morrisons under £7 in advert £5.50 plus £4.70 postage so in real terms costs £3.20 more than buying the same in date. And just to rub it in out of stock so just an advertisement no real offer.

It says that out of date kit cans are fine to use, but may require a fresh yeast. Is this true or just a marketing ploy to get rid of stock?

I agree with other comments, the prices are not much of a discount especially in the light of Tesco's November (2013) offer of £2.74 per kit for Youngs products reduced from £12.00, and in date and free delivery to your local store.

To answer the question quoted above. In principle out of date kits are ok to use and if they are seriously out of date (over 1 year) a new yeast should be used but I'd rather buy them in date and cheaper - older than that I'd chuck them.

LeithR said:
It says that out of date kit cans are fine to use, but may require a fresh yeast. Is this true or just a marketing ploy to get rid of stock?

I agree with other comments, the prices are not much of a discount especially in the light of Tesco's November (2013) offer of £2.74 per kit for Youngs products reduced from £12.00, and in date and free delivery to your local store.

I was lucky enough to get a Youngs Harvest Pilsner, just put in on today, looking forward to trying something that's cost me 6p a pint :party:
Sorry to hijack a post :whistle:

I brought a milestone kit once for £10 which was a year out of date so rehydrated the yeast first to make sure it was ok then did the kit and it came out fine and saved myself £12.

WHile dusting down my homebrew equipment last year to enable me to recommence the fine art, I came across a 4 year old Muntons Connoisseur Bitter, 1 can kit. As I hate to waste anything I thought I'd give it a go, as it was only really my time and a bit of brewing sugar needed.

I bottled it on 18 Dec, so is conditioning as we speak, but having had a sample bottle just after Christmas, it's not great. It has a very strong malty taste and I'm not sure if I'll be able to get through all 40 pints. I've been fortunate not to have to throw a brew away before, but this could be the first.

However I did experiment with my heating belt while fermenting it and found that if the belt was at the very top of the FV, the temperature readings were fairly stable at between 20 and 22 degrees. Having said that I've now bought an aquarium heater, so my belt is redundant for now.

Back