Oxygen Tank

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WonderOnesBrewing

Reaction score
I'm looking to get a small oxygen tank to oxygenate my wort before pitching the yeast.

I have no idea what kind of kit I would need (beside the oxygen tank).

If anyone can send me some links to some kit for regulators, oxygenation wand etc, I would be really grateful.

I'm a customer of BOC so I'm looking to get a tank from them.

Thanks
Paul

It’s easier just using a whirlpool paddle with a drill, I used to use O2 and a stainless air stone. Made no real difference to be honest, probably more important if you close transfer.

It’s easier just using a whirlpool paddle with a drill, I used to use O2 and a stainless air stone. Made no real difference to be honest, probably more important if you close transfer.
Thanks for the reply. That's what i've been using thus far but I am brewing bigger beers and need to ensure dissolved oxygen in the wort which a whirlpool paddle and drill can't achieve.

Here's my setup. The ss stone wand from Brewbuilder is great, I use it to swirl the wort while oxygenating then pitch in the yeast in so it gets stired up.
20200915_221518.jpg

Here's my setup. The ss stone wand from Brewbuilder is great, I use it to swirl the wort while oxygenating then pitch in the yeast in so it gets stired up.
View attachment 32661
I have just received the oxygen and tap like you use. However can you tell me about the hose line you use? I found the barb on the tap to be very narrow.

Some interesting articles by Eric Watson here,(aerate the starter not the wort) there is also a good article Wiley online about aerating, with different amounts of DO, end result was that 7mg O2/litre was slightly slower than 12mg O2/litre but the 7mg O2/litre got a better sensory evaluation.
https://www.beertools.com/html/articles.php?view=245
Fine series of articles? But only because I practice some of what he says, so I'm possibly "bias"?

No references (at all! I'm pretty bad with references, but not that bad). So, we must believe him based on his reputation. Problem there, who the hell is he? What's he done, etc. He came undone for me by describing "tannin" flavour: It isn't flavoured, he's describing (wrongly, a favourite gripe of mine) a "sensation" (but not taste) known as "astringency".

So, I've never understood why going to the trouble of using "calculators" (I'm glad he mentioned the "calculators" are based on empirical data) I grow enough yeast cells in oxygenated starters to do the job, then pitch it into oxygenated wort to do the fermentation. So, I don't. But do give my larger batches (45, 65L) 40-45 second blast through a SS air-stone (probably only because I have an O2 cylinder, and I'm determined to use it). I do use stir-plates but gas-transparent flask stoppers (if CO2 evolution is so great it interferes with O2 uptake, it's been on that step too long and needs stepping up). I also do daily step-ups instead of leaving it in an over-sized starter for days on end. I do "cold-crash" the finished starter so I can decant some of the spent starter off. It's still warmed and checked for activity before chucking it in. All steps I've "evolved", but good to see someone recommending some of them too.

[EDIT: missing ")"!]

Last edited:
Fine series of articles? But only because I practice some of what he says, so I'm possibly "bias"?

No references (at all! I'm pretty bad with references, but not that bad). So, we must believe him based on his reputation. Problem there, who the hell is he? What's he done, etc. He came undone for me by describing "tannin" flavour: It isn't flavoured, he's describing (wrongly, a favourite gripe of mine) a "sensation" (but not taste) known as "astringency".

So, I've never understood why going to the trouble of using "calculators" (I'm glad he mentioned the "calculators" are based on empirical data) I grow enough yeast cells in oxygenated starters to do the job, then pitch it into oxygenated wort to do the fermentation. So, I don't. But do give my larger batches (45, 65L) 40-45 second blast through a SS air-stone (probably only because I have an O2 cylinder, and I'm determined to use it). I do use stir-plates but gas-transparent flask stoppers (if CO2 evolution is so great it interferes with O2 uptake, it's been on that step too long and needs stepping up. I also do daily step-ups instead of leaving it in an over-sized starter for days on end. I do "cold-crash" the finished starter so I can decant some of the spent starter off. It's still warmed and checked for activity before chucking it in. All steps I've "evolved", but good to see someone recommending some of them too.
Don't believe him based on reputation, he has been a commercial brewer and he is a biochemist. So I think his thinking is far advanced than us plebs.
Just had a look what he is up to now he is a freelance adviser to breweries.

So you say ... and I'm to believe you because ...

Do you see the problem? If he's a biochemist and happens to read my criticism (or someone else's) he should be kicking himself for making such an "error". We just come through a pandemic with "fake news" spreading like wildfire. Have we not got a bit sensitive to the utter lies spread by "anti-vax" activists and the like? We should of!

Remember, I like much of what he says. But I can't give any credit to the article or recommend it, much as I'd like to, because the writer can't be bothered to credit his sources either.

Cynicism rules! ✊

(Don't say "why should we believe what you say"? People don't do they?).

So you say ... and I'm to believe you because ...

Do you see the problem? If he's a biochemist and happens to read my criticism (or someone else's) he should be kicking himself for making such an "error". We just come through a pandemic with "fake news" spreading like wildfire. Have we not got a bit sensitive to the utter lies spread by "anti-vax" activists and the like? We should of!

Remember, I like much of what he says. But I can't give any credit to the article or recommend it, much as I'd like to, because the writer can't be bothered to credit his sources either.

Cynicism rules! ✊

(Don't say "why should we believe what you say"? People don't do they?).
Just take the time to look him up like i did. Look on his linkdin profile.

Back