Packaging

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I used to do my shopping at THBC when I was living in Ireland, but they weren't great with customer service, refused to refund me a product which they'd recommended for me so I stopped using them and moved onto GEB.

Ok so I've just had a look at GEB's website. Prices seem really good, but I note that their max order weight for shipping to the UK for £5.95 is 27Kg. When I order elsewhere, I make sure the weight is just under 30kg, which is what they all seem to state before incurring extra postal charges. That 3Kg difference could be quite costly and more than wipe out savings on goods! Hmm what shall I do...?

Ok so I've just had a look at GEB's website. Prices seem really good, but I note that their max order weight for shipping to the UK for £5.95 is 27Kg. When I order elsewhere, I make sure the weight is just under 30kg, which is what they all seem to state before incurring extra postal charges. That 3Kg difference could be quite costly and more than wipe out savings on goods! Hmm what shall I do...?

It was 30kg but this included packaging so they have r3duced because of complaints. I made an order last year that was under 30kg in advertised weight but had a phone call asking to pay more because packaging took it over 30kg

It was 30kg but this included packaging so they have r3duced because of complaints. I made an order last year that was under 30kg in advertised weight but had a phone call asking to pay more because packaging took it over 30kg

Can you remember how much extra you had to pay? Without going back to the GEB site to check, I think they only work it out after placing the order but I'd like to know in advance!

TBH I don't spend too long shopping around for the cheapest price and whether I buy at GEB or the Malt Miller (my two go to shops) the price would end up pretty much the same on a large order. If I need a specific ingredient, like a sack of pale malt or some cascade hops I usually see who does it cheaper from the two. If I am doing a large order with different malts, different hops, yeasts, equipment etc then the baskets will usually end up pretty much the same.

GEB has really good customer service and whenever something has gone wrong they've corrected it, no fuss. Malt Miller has good service as well and this is not a complaint about them, but I find the service at GEB is better.

In answer to your question, you could go for the cheaper option. Their postage might mean the overall basket price isn't actually cheaper than Malt Miller, Brew UK etc, so you could go for that. However I would say I don't mind spending a few £ more if the service is good. I get fast delivery and as mentioned good customer service.

I would like to add as well GEB are the only shop which seems to sell all stocked malts in 10kg bags. I buy some malts in these quantities now as I crush them myself and it's cheaper.

Malt Miller calculates the packaging as you stock the basket. I don't know whether their allowance for packaging is more or less generous than GEB but at least there's no surprises.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TBH I don't spend too long shopping around for the cheapest price and whether I buy at GEB or the Malt Miller (my two go to shops) the price would end up pretty much the same on a large order. If I need a specific ingredient, like a sack of pale malt or some cascade hops I usually see who does it cheaper from the two. If I am doing a large order with different malts, different hops, yeasts, equipment etc then the baskets will usually end up pretty much the same.

GEB has really good customer service and whenever something has gone wrong they've corrected it, no fuss. Malt Miller has good service as well and this is not a complaint about them, but I find the service at GEB is better.

In answer to your question, you could go for the cheaper option. Their postage might mean the overall basket price isn't actually cheaper than Malt Miller, Brew UK etc, so you could go for that. However I would say I don't mind spending a few �£ more if the service is good. I get fast delivery and as mentioned good customer service.

I see where you're coming from with all that, but it just so happens that when I order a 25Kg sack of grain, I get two or 3Kg of other grains and a few hundred grammes of hops... which also happens to conveniently come in at just under the 30Kg mark. They all tend to run out at the same time, before it's time to order again. Now with GEB's 27Kg threshold I'd only be able to get the sack of malt before getting hit with extra carriage charges.

I have. Used THBC For the last couple of years and found their customer service spot on. But the postage charge to the Highlands of Scotland is also very good. If I spend over £70 they will send up to 60kg for £6.95. The MaltMiller would charge £27.22! It's a no brainer and the quality of Thehomebrewcompany products is good.

Latest posts

Back