Postage Costs to Scottish Highlands

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godfather50

Reaction score
Shopping around seems to be the key to keeping my cost of postage low. I brew all grain and attempt to keep my costs of postage low my buying in bulk for 6 months worth of recipes. With one 25kg of base malt my total weight of carriage is normally over 30kg. Postage to the Scottish Highlands from Internet sellers ranges from £15.80 to £6.50 for up to 30kg. I would be into 2 times this amount. One prominent seller charges £13.20 to the Scottish Highlands and £13.80 to Lithuania, which is a bit surprising!

Anyway I just wanted to highlight two sellers which I used recently. Anyone else living in a remote "zone B" postal area might find it helpful.

The Home Brew Shop charges NOTHING if you spend over £65, and The Home Brew Company (who are based in Ireland) charges NOTHING if you spend over £70.

I thank them both for recent deliveries which arrived quick, well packaged and the prices of their hops and grains were competitive as well.

The cut off for some of the "remote zones" for deliveries is a bit nuts. There are some Couriers that count Forfar as remote Highlands when it's 20mins from Dundee!

I hear you mate! As a Highland soul myself, some prices for shipping make me cry. If I buy say £60 of grain or supplies, I begrudge spending an additional £10-£15 on shipping. The Home Brew Shop has pretty cheap shipping rates, even when you don't spend over £60.

I live in Mid Sussex, its a cultural desert..
Does that count??:lol:

The cut off for some of the "remote zones" for deliveries is a bit nuts. There are some Couriers that count Forfar as remote Highlands when it's 20mins from Dundee!

Aye, but you're taking your life in your hands driving through Dundee!

Nial (Edinburgh)

Things can get a bit more complicated if you live on Skye :twisted:

Even though there's a bridge, and it's easier to get to than some "mainland" places, there's often a hefty premium. I usually use the Malt Miller, who charge £11 to deliver 30kg here, and their prices are pretty keen & quality good.
Shame it's not a bit more than 30kg, though, as this doesn't leave much if you order a full sack of malt! :(

I begrudge the postage and I live pretty much equidistant between the Malt Miller and The Home Brew Shop! For the opposite reason, that it's about the same for postage or petrol for me, but I could live in Glasgow and pay the same!

I could cycle it, 25miles with 6kg of grain (and 25 there without) could go some way to offset the beer consumption!

Latest posts

Back