paklab kits

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suzie

Reaction score
Paklab products are at a much better price on Amazon I have just noticed.

I have tried the raspberry merlot and can recommend it.
Green apple reisling was just like flat cider.
There were other good reviews on here a while ago, good for the cheaper price. Rubbish when they were over £60 for the kit.

You also get the corks, shrink caps, labels which saves you more pennies.

Looks like they are all down to £25. I can recommend the Chilean Merlot at that price.
I have some that is about 9 months old and it is really lovely.
I wasn't impressed with the Semillon Chardonnay or Apple Riesling though.

Some of these kits were as low as £15 earlier in the year :)

Yes I think I paid £14 each for my kits but would buy again at this price.

Seconded on the Chilean Merlot. 8 months old and it is easily the equivalent of a 7 or 8 quid bottle from the shops. It does need a bit of time to mature though as I tried some after 3 months and it was not at all nice.

Cabernet sauvignon and barolo also very good. Oak chips sometimes included, but don't bank on it. I usually have to add my own. Makes a significant difference, especially if you you reclaim it and add it to a polypin for short maturation. In both cases, the wine was really good after just a month, which is more than can be said for the California Connosseur versions.
As for the 'raspberry merlot', I have to say that it is neither raspberry, nor merlot, nor even wine. The raspberry has a distinctly synthetic taste with high levels of preservatives, and the kit is designed to produce a sweet alcohlic drink around 7% abv, below the minimum I would class as wine.
The chardonnay/semillion was fine, but, apart from the higher abv, not a lot better than a Winebuddy white.

I agree the Raspberry Merlot can hardly be called a wine. It is more like an alcopop. I really liked it and it was no more chemical tasting to me than a bought alcopop.

It made lovely summer sipping and being low in alcohol I could drink it during the day without getting too drunk.

That's fine, but you said it yourself: No more artificial than a bought alcopop. I would think, almost by definition, an artificial concoption. Somewhat better than a blend of industrial ethyl alcohol, sugar and synthetic flavouring, which is your basic alcopop and I only paid £13 post free, but I felt I had been misled, that's all.

Back