Pale Malts

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaquiss2005

Reaction score
Have always used Maris Otter so far, but note that Malt Miller also sells Golden Promise

Curious to know whats the difference and how does it affect the finished brew?

Personally I have never been able to notice any difference in the final brew between Maris Otter and Golden Promise. I'm not really convinced that it makes much difference which Pale Malt you use, they all seem to do about the same thing.

I am currently using the Pale Malt from Crisp Maltings, also sold by the Malt Miller, it is cheaper and my efficiency has gone up. I am just about to order my second sack of it.

The only difference between the two is the grower. They are both British two row malts, and both yield great results. I have found that I get about 6% higher mash efficiency out of the marris otter, but not enough to worry about.

I typically buy marris otter by the 55 pound sack and briess American 2 row in the same quantity. That way I always have both on hand.

I did make a brew with Golden Promise from Rob a while back, can't say as I noticed much difference between Marris Otter and the GP, but by the time you've added all the other bits n bobs and hops you possibly wouldn't tell much difference :?: Although it did produce a very nice light ale :whistle: :thumb:

Latest posts

Back