Passion Fruit & Pomegranate Wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew2Day

Reaction score
I used some Sainsburys red grape juice with passion fruit and pomegranate juice (non concentrate) with approx. 900g of household sugar and a mug of black tea. I also added some pectin.

It's been going around 10 days and fermenting has slowed a lot and tonight I'm going to take a gravity reading tonight and have a taste....I'll pop uo some pics later.

Ten days seems a little fast unless your house is above 20c all the time, i made 3 DJ's of RGJ and apple juice on the 8th and they are still bubbling at one every five seconds, even it has got down below 995 you still need to give it a week before stabilizing so as not to have problems with aldehydes.

Eventually, the bubbling will slow right down and stop, and here’s where you have to start to learn one of the hardest, but one of the most important lessons in winemaking - patience. Don’t try to rush it, leave it for another week. Here comes the science:

Yeast turns sugar into alcohol plus carbon dioxide, but in between it makes other chemicals called aldehydes. If you try to rush it you will get an alcoholic drink which will get you plastered but might upset your guts and leave you with a headache. Give it a bit more time and the yeasties will finish clearing away those aldehydes and you should end up with a wine which you can be proud to share with your family and friends.

Hard to tell with fermenting time. My stuff is in my room and often, apart from in winter, a WOW will ferment out in a week and a half. Good idea, if not pushed, to leave it a bit. Yeasties mop up nasties and it'll clear a bit naturally. Just resisting guzzling a new WGJ/pomegranate WOW with champagne yeast; want my lady to at least have some to try next weekend. Makes a bulk batch wine I rushed, and have litres and litres of, taste rough, though I was happy with it before :? WGJ/pom is currently my utter fave WOW :cheers:

WGJ and pomegranate used to be my favourite then the price of the juice went up and i was using 2 litres of Pomegranate to one of WGJ as it was only 50% juice, i then discovered 100% apple/raspberry and after making one gallon was converted, i have just started a RGJ + apple/raspberry version as we cannot get WGJ here so am hoping for good results.

That's really helpful Chippy. My brew is bubbling every few seconds so I won't touch it yet! I was basically going by the instructions I had on my 7 day wine. Actually, would a 7 day wine kit contain aldehydes as the instructions said to stop it after about 7 days. I'm thinking now maybe that's why it smelt really alcoholic.

In the dead of night my house is around 17-18c or 21c with the heating on.

When simple sugars are aplenty yeast will wanna make hay while the sun shines and partially metabolise some of them, as I understand, resulting in aldehydes and phenols ( not sure ). Then, as food gets scarce, they turn to the partials that give you a hangover and complete metabolisation into good old alcohol. Less hangover and more booze == good :)

Degass and fine once the yeast has finished doing its magic, regardless of what a kit's instructions say; when almost no blips - I reckon. They're more guidlines than a rule, Arrgggghhhh ;)

Off to rock Brighton fueled by homebrew now :) Chippy, I will definitely try raspberry soon!

Actually, would a 7 day wine kit contain aldehydes as the instructions said to stop it after about 7 days. .

I have often wondered that, i started wine making with Solomon Grundy kits that were supposed to be finished in 7 days (they never did) when i started making WOW i wondered why it was necessary to leave it the extra 7 days after fermentation but never got round to asking.

"7 day" is just a ****, false selling point for impatient new brewers. I'm sure you all know already but by far the best way to make wine/cider is to chuck it in a DJ and leave it for at least a few months :lol:

I regularly make the "make your own" 30 bottle rose kit from the range store, when it has stopped bubbling which is usually after 10 days i stabilise and clear it as per instructions, kits dont tell you to wait until it has finished fermenting then leave it another 7 days, my question is why are aldehydes a potential problem when making WOW but not kit wines?

Back