Pear Wine first batch help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adrian eccles

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am a new to the forum and am currently making my fist batch of pear wine.

My questions are:
I accidentally added dead yeast to my batch. Is there anything I can do to remove it?
If I cant how will it effect the end flavour?

I have had the yeast over a year and it says on the tub that it should be used within 3 months. I wish that I had read this before adding it and I realise that I should have activated it in a glass or beaker before adding it to the batch.

Thanks in advance for any replies,

Adrian

What yeast?

Is that past its “use by” or is it a “once opened use within 3 months” ?

No, you can't remove it, but what makes you so sure it's dead?

It says once opened use within 3 months. The fermentation has not begun after a few hours of adding it.
The last batch I did with this stuff was bubbling like mad pretty quickly. I will check on it again tomorrow and see if the fermentation has started.
I put the fermentation bucket on a heat mat to help things along.

What is the range of time it takes for fermentation to begin?
The other wines I have made are cherry and plumb and I seem to remember fermentation starting pretty swiftly for these batches.

Thanks,
Adrian

The yeast is youngs super wine yeast compound.

I am unsure what strain of yeast is in this compound.

Thanks

I'm out of Young's SYC at the moment so I can't check on their labelling.

The time it takes for a fermentation to show signs of activity is influenced by all sorts of factors, like whether or not you have used any Campden tablets or other sulphites, what nutrients you may have added, the pH of the must (yeasties like it to be just slightly acidic) and how much oxygen you've got stirred in to get them started.

It can usually take anything from a couple of hours to a couple of days.

See what it's doing in the morning.

The must is starting to ferment nicely now. Thanks for the help. I will be more patient next time :)

Cheers,
Adrian

Latest posts

Back