Pears are falling !!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smiffythebull

Reaction score
Good afternoon guys, for the first time ever i will attempt to make a pear wine from the pears falling from my tree and im needing help....
I visited our local homebrew shop and bought campdon tablets,yeast and pectolase, the very helpful guy who owns the shop told me to visit this fantastic forum and ask if anyone has a recipe..
I have an industrial juicer and so far have extracted 10 litres of pear juice..

so could anyone please provide an idiots guide on how to take it from here i would be eternally grateful..so far im extracting the juice and will add 2 crushed campden tablets to the juice and leave covered for 24 hrs before continuing...thats where i become stuck..how much sugar per litre of juice ? do i add extra water ? how much water per litre of juice.. ? sorry to be a pain but im quite excited by all this..
Steve..

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.
Do you want to make pear wine or perry (pear cider)? If its pear wine you will need to add sugar to increase the sugars the yeast will consume to end up with a wine strength %ABV. Otherwise if its perry you just ferment the pear juice as you would (apple) cider as far as I am aware. However you really need a hydrometer to help you dertermine the sugars present at the start of fermenation(OG) and then perhaps during and certainly at the end (FG). And if you intend to make wine that will assist in determining how much sugar you need.
If you answer these questions and tell us what equipment you have demijohns, airlocks etc etc, and the type of yeast you have bought there will be others on here better qualified than me to help you.
In the meantime you might find this useful.
There may be others if you search this part of the forum.
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/cider-making-advice.79527/

I Terry, thanks for the quick reply... i have 10 litres of pear juice which i extracted from the pears growing on my tree... at this moment they are in a 25 ltr fermenting bin. Im about to add 2 crushed campden tablets as intructed by my local brew shop...my intention is to make pear wine.
I also have bought..pectolase, and Mangrove jacks MA33 premium wine yeast.
Any help is greatly appreciated especially how much water to add how much sugar etc..
Many thanks.

Back