Peco Boiler lead Melting?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Baron

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi
has anybody else had the problem with the lead on a Peco Boiler starting to melt. Mine has started on one pin only and had started to melt so I had to pull very hard to get the lead back out
Should I get another lead and where from or is the problem likely to be on the back of the element connection?
Thanks Pete

Mine did exactly the same thing a few brews back. It was the little tiny nut on the back of the element, nipped it up with some long nose pliers and got a replacement lead, all good since

Hi Stigman
will check that out where did you get the new lead from?
Thanks Pete

If you run the boiler with the control box covered (e.g. during the mash while it's wrapped in coats and quilts) then it will cut out due to overheating.

If you run the boiler with any caked on wort on the element, either from a previous brew or by not stirring your current brew during the wort temperature ramp-up to boiling, then you add a layer of insulation to the element that prevents the heat coming out into the wort where it should do and so it'll come out the back instead and damage the fittings.

Not saying that you've done either of those but these are points to bear in mind. It's just a simple kettle element and should and will last for years if cleaned and treated carefully.

Hi foxbat
thanks for that I have cleaned the element with oxi before that boil so it was shiny clean and you are right about the stirring while getting upto boil temp as somebody told me that when I had a caked on element hence I always oxi it before the next brew
Good advice

It's a loose connection causing it and taking extra load. Could be in plug top, boiler end or the socket you are plugged into.

It's a loose connection causing it and taking extra load. Could be in plug top, boiler end or the socket you are plugged into.

A loose connection doesn't cause extra current to flow into a load. It can, however, cause arcing, sparks, flames and other such exciting stuff that doesn't belong in a brewday. :eek:

Struggling to find a kettle lead above 10amp load?
is 10amp going to be ok?

Struggling to find a kettle lead above 10amp load?
is 10amp going to be ok?

That's because they don't officially exist. The kettle plug/socket is an IEC C15/C16 pair and the IEC standard rates it for up to 10A and a pin temperature of 120C. 10A is OK up to 2.4kW in the UK.

Unofficially, engineers that design these things will leave a very large safety margin. If you have a high quality cable then it won't be damaged at or near the limit. The problem is you can't tell quality by looking at an online ad.

A loose connection doesn't cause extra current to flow into a load. It can, however, cause arcing, sparks, flames and other such exciting stuff that doesn't belong in a brewday. :eek:

If it's a poor connection it increases resistance, which causes voltage drop, which increases ampage.

If it's a poor connection it increases resistance, which causes voltage drop, which increases ampage.

That would only be true if the element were a constant-power load, able to compensate for reduced voltage by drawing more current from the supply, but it's not. It's a simple fixed value (at static temperature) resistor.

At 2.4kW, 240V, R = P/I² = 24 Ohms. In your example, say you dropped 20V over the bad connection you'd now have 220V at the same 24 Ohm element. I=V/R = 220/24 = 9.1A flowing through the circuit - a reduction of 0.9A from the nominal case.

Back