pennine's brewdays

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also had these arrive in the mail and was thinking about using them tomorrow. I seem to have won a giveaway and ended up with two thanks @Brew2bottle Homebrew .

Although after second thought maybe I should use them with a hazy ipa, I think a little oxidation in an imperial stout is a good thing.

20201003_094316.jpg

So far so good, looking like I will hit a SG of 1.100 so I am going to drop in 1/2 kilo of DME to get me to 1.110. It's not quite as sweet as I was expecting, but very smooth. Also I dropped the wood chips to 50g based on @dalecek 's winning recipe. Oak and Cacao is now soaking in a half bottle of whiskey.

20201004_081825.jpg

So far so good, looking like I will hit a SG of 1.100 so I am going to drop in 1/2 kilo of DME to get me to 1.110. It's not quite as sweet as I was expecting, but very smooth. Also I dropped the wood chips to 50g based on @dalecek 's winning recipe. Oak and Cacao is now soaking in a half bottle of whiskey.

View attachment 33633
Have you counted the whiskey in your starting gravity. What is the predicted final gravity

View attachment 33633

I’m already excited by this one athumb..

Have you counted the whiskey in your starting gravity. What is the predicted final gravity

I have not included the whiskey in the calculation yet, I added about 450ml so I need to adjust the recipe and do the math? Based in my rudimentary calculation 1.4%. I was shooting for 1.110 and hit 1.105, after I add 250g of maple syrup I think this will add about 0.004 gravity points so I should be right on target. I f I get that down to 1.030 it will be 10.9% with the whiskey that will be 12.3% about right where I was shooting for.

Now that I think about it the yeast is gonna have some fun trying to carbonate this thing. Might get a pack of F2.

Brewday is done, pretty uneventful and was able to lift and run while mashing and boiling.

179 - 2020 Double IPA
19l batch - 1.079/1.014 - mash 65c

trying to use up some spare ingredients hence the complicated malt and hop bill. i was going to use sugar to dry it out but pre-boil gravity was already higher than expected. haven't made a double ipa in a while hopefully this one is good.

5.50 kg​
Hook Head Pale (5.0 EBC)​
71.4 %​
0.75 kg​
Pale Ale, Golden Promise®™ (Simpsons) (5.0 EBC)​
9.7 %​
0.50 kg​
BEST Munich (BESTMALZ) (15.0 EBC)​
6.5 %​
0.40 kg​
Carabelge (39.4 EBC)​
5.2 %​
0.25 kg​
BEST Pilsen Malt (BESTMALZ) (3.5 EBC)​
3.2 %​
40.00 g​
Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus (CTZ) [15.50 %] - Boil 45.0 min​
61.6 IBUs​
50.00 g​
Citra [12.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 min, 80.0 C​
9.0 IBUs​
30.00 g​
Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus (CTZ) [15.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 min, 80.0 C​
7.0 IBUs​
20.00 g​
CF169 (Mozart) [8.69 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 min, 80.0 C​
2.4 IBUs​
1.0 pkg​
Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml]​
-​
50.00 g​
Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days​
0.0 IBUs​
50.00 g​
El Dorado [15.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days​
0.0 IBUs​
30.00 g​
Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus (CTZ) [15.50 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days​
0.0 IBUs​
30.00 g​
Summit [17.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days​
0.0 IBUs​

179 - DIPA Tasting notes, 3 months old now, I have bottled half the keg

This was an expiriment to see about adding metabisulfite at dry hop and at kegging to see if it would have positive affect on oxidation. It did seem to work as the color is still quite vibrant even after bottling. The bad news is I can smell sulfur big time in this one and it never dissapated with time.

appearance - a nice yellow orange and lightly chill hazy

aroma - sulfur, dank, light caramel malt, yeasty bread

taste - quite malty, some dank piney hops with a little citrus. alcohol and that caramel maltiness that happens a lot in DIPA's

mouthfeel - nicely carbonated, its light on the tongue and perfectly bittered that doesn't linger long.

overall- it's a pretty decent DIPA nothing spectacular and I don't mind drinking it, it would be much better without the sulfur though. the sulfur exacerbates the dankness of columbus and makes it overpowering to the fruitiness that normally offsets it. I also have not been enjoying >6% beers lately just too much alcohol. 5.5-6.5% really seems to be the sweet spot with me. Next time I will not brew a 19l batch of DIPA. Also Columbus completelt wipes out the other hops so use this one sparingly in the future. And dump the double metabisulfite, just one hit if at all, is plenty.

Last edited:
Next brew idea is a hoppy pils, I think I am going to try out two newt hops though Olicana and Lemon drop and add them with Citra. Then dump these on the yeast cakes I have from the festbier expiriment I have fermenting.

Any experience with olicana? a British hop that sounds amazing.

Flavour and Aroma
Tropical fruit flavours and aromas, including mango, grapefruit and passionfruit.

Characteristics
Mango, grapefruit, passionfruit.

Bittering Characteristics
Complex bitterness with citrus and tropical fruit.

Flavour Intensity
8 /10
About this Hop
Oilcana® is from the Charles Faram Hop development programme. It brings tropical flavours to the UK. It is highly tolerant of wilt, but displays some susceptibility to powdery mildew.

I thought it was almost ready so I added the maple syrup and look what I found!

20201007_184954.jpg

smell is amazingly chocolatey and malty. Cannot wait for this one.

I thought it was almost ready so I added the maple syrup and look what I found!

View attachment 33805

smell is amazingly chocolatey and malty. Cannot wait for this one.

I took a gravity reading, It's still dropping about 0.004 per 12 hours or so, down to 1.031 now after the maple syrup was added. There is definitely lots of alcohol in this one, I am considering holding back some of the chocolate scotch that is going in. I also think I might need some smaller bottles for this one, like the 250ml size...

Next brew idea is a hoppy pils, I think I am going to try out two newt hops though Olicana and Lemon drop and add them with Citra. Then dump these on the yeast cakes I have from the festbier expiriment I have fermenting.

Any experience with olicana? a British hop that sounds amazing.

Flavour and Aroma
Tropical fruit flavours and aromas, including mango, grapefruit and passionfruit.

Characteristics
Mango, grapefruit, passionfruit.

Bittering Characteristics
Complex bitterness with citrus and tropical fruit.

Flavour Intensity
8 /10
About this Hop
Oilcana® is from the Charles Faram Hop development programme. It brings tropical flavours to the UK. It is highly tolerant of wilt, but displays some susceptibility to powdery mildew.

I found Olicana way more subtle than the description but only used about 50g for a hop tea in a 23L pale.

I found Olicana way more subtle than the description but only used about 50g for a hop tea in a 23L pale.
Thanks for this as I was wondering about that, I might drop the citra down to half the amount of olicana and lemon drop.

Did you get the tropical fruits from it?

Latest posts

Back