pennine's brewdays

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you get the tropical fruits from it?
I'll bet you don't get tropical fruits from it. Hops, like any other edible plants pick up flavour notes from the other plants that are abundant around where they grow and we're not growing mango and pineapple nearby in the UK. Some of the recent dealers descriptions are stretching it a bit to say the least with the new Styrians being the worst offenders. My guess is it'll be a nice subtle British hop that'll be easily overwhelmed by your Citra.

Thanks for this as I was wondering about that, I might drop the citra down to half the amount of olicana and lemon drop.

Did you get the tropical fruits from it?

Not much to be honest. I'd up the quantity next time.

Alright thanks for the advice, I may rethink their usage a bit.

fire in the hole! with coffee.

20201009_124751.jpg

20201009_124738.jpg

190 & 191 - Festbiers
2x11l batch - 1.056/1.012 - mash 66c

well the temps have finally dropped, and now time to make a lager for october. i am going to split this one in 2 and compare two yeasts 34/70 and M76 bavarian lager. Wort tastes amazing!

2.00 kg​
Lager Malt (3.9 EBC)​
35.4 %​
1.75 kg​
Vienna Malt (6.9 EBC)​
31.0 %​
1.25 kg​
BEST Munich (BESTMALZ) (15.0 EBC)​
22.1 %​
0.30 kg​
Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC)​
5.3 %​
0.25 kg​
Carahell (Weyermann) (25.6 EBC)​
4.4 %​
0.10 kg​
Melanoidin (Weyermann) (59.1 EBC)​
1.8 %​
15.00 g​
Tettnang [4.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min​
7.7 IBUs​
10.00 g​
Hallertau Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min​
16.0 IBUs​
20.00 g​
Tettnang [4.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min​
5.1 IBUs​
1.0 pkg​
Saflager Lager (DCL/Fermentis #W-34/70) or 1 M76 Bavarian Lager​
-​

Bottled these up today, ended at 1.014 for a cool 5.6%, great malty flavours with very minimal sulfurs in both batches. It has been a while since I have cold lagered with lager yeast, and I definitely end up with less sulfur this way. Think I will stick with it.

Initial tastings
34/70 is maltier and rounder with a bit of hop fruitiness, has more of a traditional lager sulfur character.
m76 is much more effervescent out of the fermenter, fruitier and less malty. lager in the aroma but drinks more like a clean ale yeast right now.

The alcohol should cut through that chocolate flavour when its done. Awesome looking brew.
I took another tasting last night and it was thick chocolate sludge, have you used cacao nibs and do they break up and semi-disolve normally? I am wondering if that should go in the bottle or not?

193 & 194 - HoPils 34/70 vs HoPyls M76
2x11l batch - 1.065/1.014 - mash 67c

Two perfectly good lager yeast cakes, ready for another experiment. Which one does better in a hoppy pilsner? I was tempted to give it an inappropriate name but it's Sunday after all.

After the discussions about olicana, I decided to increase both lemon drop and olicana up in the whirlpool and dry hop based on their alpha percentages. Should give a bit more expression from these two hops. I borrowed some screenshots from this cool website Hop Comparison Tool - Beer Maverick they didn't have olicana in the database but after looking at the stats it's myrcene lower than the other two only 19-20%! It's total oil is very low as well. I may actually bump this one up some more... done!

Ended up with way better efficiency, I adjusted the mill.

4.00 kg​
Lager Malt (3.9 EBC)​
70.2 %​
0.75 kg​
BEST Vienna (BESTMALZ) (9.0 EBC)​
13.2 %​
0.35 kg​
Carabelge (39.4 EBC)​
6.1 %​
0.20 kg​
BEST Acidulated (BESTMALZ) (6.0 EBC)​
3.5 %​
0.20 kg​
Barley, Flaked (3.3 EBC)​
3.5 %​
0.20 kg​
Melanoiden Malt (39.4 EBC)​
3.5 %​
12.00 g​
Hallertau Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min​
14.2 IBUs​
40.00 g​
Olicana [9.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 min, 85.0 C​
8.1 IBUs​
30.00 g​
Lemondrop [6.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 min, 85.0 C​
4.0 IBUs​
20.00 g​
Citra [12.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 min, 85.0 C​
5.4 IBUs​
1.0 cake​
Bavarian Lager (Mangrove Jack's #M76) OR​
-​
1.0 cake​
Saflager Lager (DCL/Fermentis #W-34/70)​
-​
40.00 g​
Olicana [9.00 %] - Dry Hop 2.0 Days​
0.0 IBUs​
30.00 g​
Lemondrop [6.00 %] - Dry Hop 2.0 Days​
0.0 IBUs​
20.00 g​
Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 2.0 Days​
0.0 IBUs​

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Also a brew day with <6kgs of grain is far easier to mash than 8.5kgs.
20201011_072555.jpg

Last edited:
183 & 184 - Saison Yeast Sampler (Belle Saison & BE-134)
11l x 2 batch - 1.053/1.004 - mash 64c

It's hot so it's saison time! i am going to brew a 22l batch in my robobrew and split it in two fermenters. i'll drop the fermenters in various refrigerators for the first 36 hours to minimize fusels but then let them simmer in the heat.

the plan is to sample the two yeasts side by side. i have done three saison yeasts so far Belle Saison, BE-134 and M29 and my anectdotal opinion is i prefer the BE-134 the best. i have to admit, although i enjoy M29, it definitely gives off a different funk that the other two yeasts. likely i likely prefer the milder saison strains as I tend to have a heavy hand on the hops with my saison. i read recently about Idaho-7's boil addition prowess and was surprisingly happy with the combo in the hoppy pils attempt a couple weeks back. i bottled that up today and fusels are still there, hopefully they will diminish in the secondary ferment.

The SafAle™ BE-134 is a Saccharomyces cerevisiae var. diastaticus and is characterized by a particularly high attenuation. This typical yeast strain is recommended for Belgian Saison-style beers. It gives fruity aromas with a slight spicy character (POF+) such as clove notes. This strain will bring highly refreshing and drinkable beers.

LalBrew® Belle Saison is a Belgian-style ale yeast selected specifically for its ability to create Saison-style beers. Belle Saison is a diastaticus strain that allows the brewers to achieve the high attenuation characteristic of this classic style. Designed for warm-temperature fermentation true to traditional “Farmhouse” production methods, beers brewed with LalBrew® Belle Saison are fruity, spicy and refreshing.

3.50 kg​
Lager Malt (3.9 EBC)​
68.6 %​
0.65 kg​
Wheat Malt, Bel (3.9 EBC)​
12.7 %​
0.50 kg​
BEST Munich (BESTMALZ) (15.0 EBC)​
9.8 %​
0.35 kg​
Rye, Malted (Simpsons) (4.0 EBC)​
6.9 %​
0.10 kg​
Acid Malt (5.9 EBC)​
2.0 %​
30.00 g​
Idaho #7 [13.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min​
23.7 IBUs​
30.00 g​
Azacca [15.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 10.0 min, 90.2 C​
10.0 IBUs​
30.00 g​
Citra [12.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 10.0 min, 90.0 C​
7.8 IBUs​
1.0 pkg​
Belle Saison or BE-134​
-​

183 & 184 The saison yeast experiment - tasting notes

Both poured a very clear straw yellow with plenty of white head that sticks around the whole time drinking
Aroma be134 is a lot of pineapple and tropical, a hint of light pepper spice phenols in the background. Belle saison is more citrusy tropical with plenty of pineapple as well, but is fruitier and the saison spicey aroma is in the background.
Flavour be134 is surprisingly malty and a little sweet and a bit tart, that changes to a lemon citrus fruit character and then quite a spicey finish with a little bitterness in there. Belle saison has more fruitiness up front, it seems lighter on the palate with little maltiness but a similar sweetness. It's lemony and oranges and some ripe pineapple.
Overall, both are surprisingly good and drinkable. They are mainly fruity hops so they seem to compliment the saison yeast well although Idaho-7 really throws a ton of pineapple and tropical flavours in case you are looking for them. I have a slight preference for the belle saison, but both are great, if you want more saison then be134 seems better.
Also with the relative complex malt bill its really remarkable how the different yeast express the malt bill, it might be too malty in the be134 but its a perfect balance in the belle saison.

Fun experiment, especially when trying to dial in your preferences.

20201011_144208.jpg

Last edited:
Really enjoying reading your updates, just catching up from the last week and you seem to have been rather industrious with your brewing! Your Cacao nib, oak chip and whisky concoction looks mouth wateringly delicious too. 😯
Anna

Really enjoying reading your updates, just catching up from the last week and you seem to have been rather industrious with your brewing! Your Cacao nib, oak chip and whisky concoction looks mouth wateringly delicious too. 😯
Anna
Ha it's definitely a hobby/obsession, I like to do a dark rich stout or two every half a year, and then let them sit and mature for months and years (if I am lucky)...

178 - Texas Brown Ale
11l batch - 1.058/1.014 - mash 67c

2.20 kg​
Pale Ale, Golden Promise®™ (Simpsons) (5.0 EBC)​
80.0 %​
0.15 kg​
Oats, Flaked (2.0 EBC)​
5.5 %​
0.10 kg​
Brown Malt (Simpsons) (515.0 EBC)​
3.6 %​
0.10 kg​
Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC)​
3.6 %​
0.10 kg​
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (Muntons) (118.2 EBC)​
3.6 %​
0.10 kg​
Smoked Brown Malt (300.0 EBC)​
3.6 %​
10.00 g​
Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus (CTZ) [15.50 %] - First Wort 45.0 min​
33.5 IBUs​
20.00 g​
Sladek [6.4 %] - Boil 12.0 min​
11.5 IBUs​
1.0 pkg​
American West Coast Ale (Lallemand/Danstar #BRY-97)​
-​

i have been thinking about a nice hoppy brown ale for a couple of weeks. and since i was bottling my german porter i skipped over the stout i have been planning. i also wanted to use a little more of my home roasted brown malt to try to get a good understanding of it. i have been really digging caraaroma as well in darker beers. i used up some us05 cake i had from the el dorado single hop ipa i made. i am still stunned at how much el dorado smells like cherry candy, but the aroma of that yeast cake was just out of this world. i am actually thinking about dry hopping a stout with it to get some cherry chocolate goodness. sounds like a good next beer.

178 Texas Brown Ale (that never was from anywhere near texas) tasting notes

Pours a nice clear medium reddish brown, a small head that dissipates to nothing.
Aroma is bready malts to crystal malt with a smoky overtone, not overpowering but definitely apparent and some sulfur.
Flavour is a deep rich malt with raisins and a hint of caramel. There is some smoke that initally comes of a bit acrid but changes into more tabaco smoke as it lingers for a while. It intermixes with the bitterness and it lingers for a while. Mouthfeel is coating and everything sticks around might be a tad bit over carbonated.
Overall it's a decent brown ale, nothing like a texas brown ale as the hops are very minimal in this one. It's better as it warms up but I am not too keen to drink too many of them. Smoked malt is not really my thing, and after half a glass my palate is fatigued. Probably wouldn't brew this one again, but if I did I would replace the smoked brown malt with toasted flaked barley, up the oats to 15% and add in some chocolate malt.

20201011_153941.jpg

Last edited:
I took another tasting last night and it was thick chocolate sludge, have you used cacao nibs and do they break up and semi-disolve normally? I am wondering if that should go in the bottle or not?
No I've never used them. I've only ever done a few black beers and I never managed to impress myself with what I created so I stick to the pale ales and lagers that I seem to be better at. I love a good thick bodied stout or porter though and I'll be watching how you you get along with your big impy.

Taking a sample of the world stout, aroma is whiskey, chocolate, coffee and alcohol no fusels though. check....
Taste is chocolate, bitter chocolate, whiskey, sweet caramel malt and some alcohol although it's remarkably drinkable. I can feel the alcohol in my belly. check...
This is good, really good.

20201012_193122.jpg

Edit: And some woody oak in the aroma.

Taking a sample of the world stout, aroma is whiskey, chocolate, coffee and alcohol no fusels though. check....
Taste is chocolate, bitter chocolate, whiskey, sweet caramel malt and some alcohol although it's remarkably drinkable. I can feel the alcohol in my belly. check...
This is good, really good.

View attachment 34049

Edit: And some woody oak in the aroma.
Is this straight out of the fermentor

Latest posts

Back