Peppery Hop?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hiya, i've had a couple of IPA's recently, one from (err i can't remember) and the other 'Brithop' by Buxton, they both had a peppery flavour which I quite enjoyed. Looking at different websites I can't really find one described as peppery, I suppose it would be described as spicy.... Can anyone recommend a peppery hop? The Buxton one was all British hops so there must be a local one out there somewhere!

Thanks!

Herkules
Brambling Cross
Green Bullet
My chart say Green Bullet is the most peppery

I would look on a hop descriptor chart Pilgrim.
The goldings are meant to give peppery spice but I would think plenty will give that flavour depending on when added as timing of additions can bring out different flavours too

I always think northern Brewer gets me a lot of pepper. Spice makes me think more of clove, cinnamon etc...

Hiya, i've had a couple of IPA's recently, one from (err i can't remember) and the other 'Brithop' by Buxton, they both had a peppery flavour which I quite enjoyed. Looking at different websites I can't really find one described as peppery, I suppose it would be described as spicy.... Can anyone recommend a peppery hop? The Buxton one was all British hops so there must be a local one out there somewhere!

Thanks!
An all British-grown IPA, showcasing some of the most exiting and aromatic new hops to be developed by British hop growers. Hopped with Jester, Olicana, Harlequin & Mystic. Sign up to add a tick or review favoriteJoin Us Activity filter_list Show All Activity Only Reviews

From the website. That hop mixture isn't a million miles away from CML's Tropical England. I reckonif you used that mixture, you'd find it even a tad more spicy as it doesn't contain harlequin.

An all British-grown IPA, showcasing some of the most exiting and aromatic new hops to be developed by British hop growers. Hopped with Jester, Olicana, Harlequin & Mystic. Sign up to add a tick or review favoriteJoin Us Activity filter_list Show All Activity Only Reviews

From the website. That hop mixture isn't a million miles away from CML's Tropical England. I reckonif you used that mixture, you'd find it even a tad more spicy as it doesn't contain harlequin.

Interesting you say that, I have done the tropical england, and it doesn't have the pepper in it, which makes me think that it might be Olicana.

Pepper is typically from phenols, which are more of a yeast thing than hops. T-58 is the one that's usually cited as being peppery.

I know I have to keep repeating myself on this one, but not all beer flavours come from hops!!!!

Latest posts

Back