PH tester

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cyberjip

Regular.
Reaction score
Quick one,

Any recommendations for a good (preferably cheap) PH tester,

I bought this one
20200411_130254.jpg

However it doesn't work properly , won't always switch on, and now allways just displays 1.

Did I just get a dud or should I buy a more expensive one?

Last edited:
Quick one,

Any recommendations for a good (preferably cheap) PH tester,

I bought this one
View attachment 24356

However it doesn't work properly , won't always switch on, and now allways just displays 1.

Did I just get a dud or should I buy a more expensive one?
I’ve got the same one as you and mine works well. The reading is starting to ‘swing’ a little after a few months so probably look to fork out another £10 soon

General consensus is that these are fine although require calibration each use.

Ok sorry for the follow-up but it didn't come with any instructions or leaflet. How do you calibrate it?
You should have had two sachets of calibration chemicals with the meter. These need to dissolved in water, dip the meter tip in and adjust to the printed pH figure for each solution. Then store the solutions in bottles (carefully labelled) to use again.

You should have had two sachets of calibration chemicals with the meter. These need to dissolved in water, dip the meter tip in and adjust to the printed pH figure for each solution. Then store the solutions in bottles (carefully labelled) to use again.
Yer didn't get any of that stuff. Probably got a cheap knock off hence my troubles.

will order a new one

Yer didn't get any of that stuff. Probably got a cheap knock off hence my troubles.

will order a new one
Don't think mine came with calibration solutions either. Just order the powder ones which are cheapest. Personally, I've found the pH tester strips (4.8-6ph) less hassle and good for a rough idea that pH is in the correct range. Don't require extra faff on brew day.

Latest posts

Back