Pilsner malt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jambop

Reaction score
Anybody used it to make good old English pale ale , bitter or any other style of British beer for that matter. I have a 25kg sack and it won't all be used in Pilsner or wheat beer. My gut feeling is that it should be fine but good to know if otherwise.

Anybody used it to make good old English pale ale , bitter or any other style of British beer for that matter. I have a 25kg sack and it won't all be used in Pilsner or wheat beer. My gut feeling is that it should be fine but good to know if otherwise.
Yes, I have and it was fine. There is "some, but not a lot" of difference in pale malts. You can always add a bit of something like biscuit/melaboidin/Munich malt to add to the "maltiness" flavours

When you start to add crystal and flavour malts to it to turn it into a bitter/pale ale it'll be even harder to spot the difference between pilsner malt and pale malt.

I think brulpsophy did an experiment and people couldn't tell the difference between pale malt and pilsner malt.

Edit: They did. It was only one guy tasting it. Colours differ, but he couldn't reliably detect a difference in flavour. exBEERiment | Grain Comparison: Pale Malt vs. Pilsner Malt In German Pils

Last edited:
Exactly as Agent has said just add some Munich to give a little extra maltiness and he is right about crystal etc

I usually add about 5-10% carraminich III to my pales and bitters so should be interesting when I try it .

I think you will find hardly any difference in real terms unless you are using Maris Otter which has a more malty taste but the Munich will counter that anyway

Pilsner makes for a very thin beer as it is intended, it is never going to make a full-bodied English beer. Adding pale ale malt at a slightly higher percentage than the pilsner will get a medium-bodied beer. Munich will add maltiness and crystal to the sweetness but will not make up for body.

Not sure about Pilsner but I only buy extra pale malt now. I use it neat for lagers but, as others have said above, add an amount of Munich, Cara etc for other styles.
If it were only that easy. There is a good reason behind maltsters producing different base malts, to make different beers. Otherwise, the maltsters would produce just one base malt and let the brewer tweak the beer intended using Munich, Vienna, crystal, etc. etc.
We are fortunate to live in the age we do having the choice of so many different malts to choose from. The day is coming when grains won't be malted, science is working overtime to find ways to use green barley.
One good thing about making a medium-bodied IPA is just with a change of hops we can make either an English Pale Ale or an American Pale Ale.
In fact, I am making one tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back