Pizza - Thin vs Thick Base

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H-Lowe

Reaction score
All the pizza restaurants round here have basically switched over to selling thin based pizzas. Growing up it was all thick base. Why has everyone decided all of a sudden that a pizza has to have a thin base. I don;t get it. They taste great, don;t get me woring - but if you're hungry sometimes it's nice to bite into a thick base pizza. More bang for your buck!

Pizzas have thick or thin bases? I think that's the answer to your question ... there's no "or" about it, except in busy "pizza" take-aways and restaurants. They supply pizzas with uniform thickness bases that drop out of a rolling machine and perhaps get a casual (ineffective) twirl from the "chef". Perhaps the trend isn't towards thinner bases, but an increasing desire for a crispy base? A decent move ... but instead, the limitations of "fast food" outlets means they are getting a pizza topping on a biscuit.

In the same way as a decent Cornish Pasty doesn't have a uniform base, neither does a pizza. It's not even possible by hand shaping the dough (you can try by using a rolling pin ... argg, hisssss). They are thin based in the middle, thick and crispy (just the outer) around the outside edge.

Do yourself (and anyone with you) a great favour and make your own!

Humm ... I was making comparisons with Cornish Pasties and said "base". Pasties don't have a base! Here's what I meant (thick "base"):

1691755019573.png

The explosion of Onni’s and other cheap home pizza ovens have turned people on to Neapolitan style pizza. If you’re hungry, cook a 14”, you get a lot more of the good stuff and some extra crust.

I do wonder if at least in part it’s a reaction against ‘cheap, stodgy, pizza, with plastic mozzarella). I’m well aware that thicker pizzas can be delicious in their own right but for the moment thin Naples style pizzas are on trend and where the money is.

All the pizza restaurants round here have basically switched over to selling thin based pizzas. Growing up it was all thick base
It probably depends where you go. Pizza Hut is the only place I've ever seen selling thick base.
Everywhere else I've always seen thin base.

Latest posts

Back