Plastic electric mash tun

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darren Jeory

Regular.
Reaction score
Are these any good?

My klarstein isn't arriving and I've given up on them as a brand so are the plastic bucket ones any good?

Ahhhh, that's a shame you are having trouble with Klarstein as well!

I have heard many people make good beer on those, I am sure some people will definitely help you out with opinions.

I actually came across THIS set up for sale on gumtree that comes with a PID as well!

Also, depending on your budget, the Brewster Beacon looks like an amazing purchase. I know that @brydo has one and is very happy with his. He also had trouble getting a Klarstein.

I use one of the basic plastic peco boilers, have done for 2½ years. 34 brews on it so far and it does well for me.

So long as you have a way to control the temperature they are ok as a boiler. I have never actually mashed in mine as I do that in a coolbox (unmodified, no taps), so can't say what the peco is like at holding mash temperature. If you want to heat while you mash and gain better temperature control you'll need a false bottom... probably a pump to recirculate... a new ball valve tap. It would start to mount up.

As I say, treat the 'plastic bucket' for what it is, don't expect anything fancy from it, and it gets the job done with minimum fuss or maintenance. As a way of heating water and/or wort it's fine. Without variable power it's either on or off (though you can buy them with a better controller, but what's the point, you may as well look at an all in one) so you have to be careful to keep stirring wort to avoid scorching.

I went down the DIY temperature control route and built my own panel with PID and voltage controller. It works very well but may be more fancy than the bucket or it's cheap element warrants. However, it works for me and I wouldn't change now.

If you want a cheap way to start that could be used for heating sparge water later if you upgrade, I recommend it.

The Homebrew Company used to do a deal: peco boiler, copper wort chiller and premium all grain kit for ~£70. Effectively making the boiler £30ish. That's what I bought, a decent price at the time that now owes me nothing at all.

That said, if I had my time again and knew I'd still be brewing over 2 years later I would be buying an all in one like a brewster/robobrew/klarstein, less faff in the long run.

Here's a pic of my peco with its ball valve tap and jacket on. Wort recirculation to avoid scorching and to help cooling by way of a 12v solar pump which seems to work fine even with boiling wort!
rps20200320_150616.jpg

I have a 12v feed with switch on my control panel. The panel has the innards of a 12v adapter built into it.

You could run the pump straight off a standard 12v adaptor.

It's a cheap attachment that works. I'll upgrade if/when any parts fail, but they haven't yet.

Do you have any links to what I would need to set up a basic pump? I see the pumps but bare wires on the end makes me give up on the idea 🤣

Ahhhh, that's a shame you are having trouble with Klarstein as well!

I have heard many people make good beer on those, I am sure some people will definitely help you out with opinions.

I actually came across THIS set up for sale on gumtree that comes with a PID as well!

Also, depending on your budget, the Brewster Beacon looks like an amazing purchase. I know that @brydo has one and is very happy with his. He also had trouble getting a Klarstein.
I have the Brewster Beacon also and for the money is a good bit of kit.

If you get nervous seeing the bare ends of wires I can't really help you on the pump or control panels stuff.

Simply, you have a choice:
  • Keep it really simple - buy a pre-wired inkbird that just switches on/off at your chosen temperature. You'll need to wrap up the bucket with blanket or duvet to limit heat loss while mashing, and stir while bringing temperature of wort up to the boil.
  • Save up a little more money and buy the all-in-one. You'll save a load of hassle, won't need to worry about electrics, and in the long run it won't cost any more than buying all the separate bits. Safe option.

Oh I'm not nervous as much as clueless🤣 its the pump I'm most concerned with...cheap to buy but what do I attach those bare wires to so I can plug in?

Oh I'm not nervous as much as clueless🤣 its the pump I'm most concerned with...cheap to buy but what do I attach those bare wires to so I can plug in?
Here you go - DZYDZR DC Jack 5.5 x 2.1mm Splitter Cable 12V Plug 1: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Snip the extension in half and solder to the pump wires and use with a standard 12v DC transformer. Make sure to get the polarity right or you pump will try to run in reverse.

Cheaper and doesn't require soldering - Male and female 12V &24V power plug jack

Just over a month they said they would send labels and courier within 3 days nothing arrived. I've done my bit by telling them. Suspect taking it back to Germany not worth the hassle. I read about 6 months it's mine so I dated it as not to forget. Honesty pays off in the long run.

Just over a month they said they would send labels and courier within 3 days nothing arrived. I've done my bit by telling them. Suspect taking it back to Germany not worth the hassle. I read about 6 months it's mine so I dated it as not to forget. Honesty pays off in the long run.
Did you email or ring them ?.
If email may be worth keeping a copy of it and any reply's just in case they try and get it after 6 months,

Latest posts

Back