Please help !!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jordan James

Reaction score
Hi guys, I’ve bought a kit online, first ever batch !! 6 days into the brew, I notice a a puddle around the vessel, I try and seal the hole, with no joy. So I’ve transferred the beer into a new vessel via the tap ( I’ve lost 3.5 litres of beer, through the hole in the bucket. The beer is very foamy, and is no longer bubbling. Have I buggered my brew or shall I just wait to see what happens ?
Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Take an SG reading. After 6 days it may well be finished (say around 1.010), which will explain the perceived lack of activity . However no bubbles through an airlock doesn't necessarily mean no activity, since your lid might be leaking although it appears sealed.
Otherwise I'm with @Joe90, and would just leave it alone for another week.

The kit is a Young’s kit, American ipa. It says 15 days for fermentation. Before I noticed the leak, bubbles were every 3/4 seconds. I then had to change to another vessel with a new air lock. I will check the gravity. I’ve thrown the yeast packet I’m afraid, how can I check ? Thank guys, really appreciate the help.

As Terry says bubbles are not the way to see if fermentation is going on and the 3 to 4 second bubbles tells me the fermentation is nearly over and should just be left to clean up etc as suggested. Good luck I think you will find it is ok

The kit is a Young’s kit, American ipa. It says 15 days for fermentation. Before I noticed the leak, bubbles were every 3/4 seconds. I then had to change to another vessel with a new air lock. I will check the gravity. I’ve thrown the yeast packet I’m afraid, how can I check ? Thank guys, really appreciate the help.
Th AIPA kit yeast, after a quick start, becomes a slow muncher and can take 20 days or so to finish the primary, But in so doing can go down to 1.007 or even lower. Therefore I cant imagine its finished in six days and by simply transferring it you are unlikely to have stalled it. So it is highly likely the lid is leaking ever so slightly allowing CO2 to bypass the airlock. I still suggest you take an SG reading, but if you want to see the airlock bubble simply place four strips of cling film off a clean section of roll, position them to cover the FV rim, and replace the lid.
Let us know how you get on.

It could well be ok., Why did the bucket not start to leak until the sixth day, I wonder. What happened, was it split? Did the tap work loose? You say the beer was all foamy- was there a way for the gas to get out or did pressure build up in your FV and split it or cause seepage round the tap washer?

The vessel was split. I only noticed it was leaking this morning. It’s lucky I had another vessel to transfer the beer into.
Day 2/3 of fermentation, I came home and the lid was about to explode, the airlock was full of beer and spilled over the top. So I took the airlock off, sanitised it and put it back. Same thing happened again, re sanitised the airlock again. So I read somewhere if it was so gaseous and about to explode to open the lid slightly. It was foaming over all night and next morning. It then was okay on day 4/5. Airlock was bubbling fine. And then woke up on day 6 and saw the vessel was leaking. I then sanitised my other vessel and opened the tap and released all the beer to the new vessel ( that was super foamy ) I then put the lid on, and a new airlock. Temperature is at 22 degrees and gravity is at 1.010.
Shall I leave the beer do it’s magic for the next 9 days, before doing the dry hopping ?

Shall I leave the beer do it’s magic for the next 9 days, before doing the dry hopping ?
Yes certainly. From what you say above, it sounds as if the gas couldn't get out of your FV and split it. When it's lively, and especially when it's warm, you can and should leave the lid unsealed/ Put a tea-towel over the top if you like, but nothing's going to get in there while the pressure inside is greater than that outside.
Don't make the same mistake with your second FV. Open the lid.
I've been within an inch of the same when my airlock blocked solid.

Last edited:
Temperature is at 22 degrees and gravity is at 1.010.
You should now leave your beer alone for a few days with or without a bubbling air lock. Then retest the SG. If its at 1.008 or below it nearly done and you can either add the hops or leave it a little longer . The choice is yours. The reason your beer has fermented out so quickly is due to the 22*C temperature which will accelerate the process. If you brew this kit again I would be aiming for less than 20*C.
Finally this kit and yeast are well known for overflows especially if temperatures are warm and you are brewing to the full 23 litres in an FV nominally sized at 25litres. I suspect that is what you had. The krausen just rises and the yeasty solids eventually block the airlock. If it you brew it again brew at a lower temperature and /or fit a blow off tube (look it up)

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your help. Will be checking the SG this evening, hopefully it should be ready for dry hopping. Happy brewing guys :)

Back