Poltergeist Porter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I get some more EKG's in from Paul I'm gonna have a bash at this. It'll be my 1st porter :D :D :D

Watch out for the new tweaked recipe I'll be posting on sunday going with a bit of Rauch malt and some black in there to add to the flavors :thumb:

That's a good edit MD. Look forward too hearing the results! I've been toying with the idea of smoked malt in my porter as I have 1kg of peat smoked malt from H&G. I've read up on the use of PSM and how it can over power a brew so I might have to tinker with it a bit so as to not balls it up!

previously I'd come up with this. What do you think?

Fermentables

UK Pale Ale Malt 3.621 kg 78.7 % 4.1 In Mash/Steeped
UK Amber Malt 0.304 kg 6.6 % 2.3 In Mash/Steeped
UK Chocolate Malt 0.304 kg 6.6 % 51.8 In Mash/Steeped
UK Dark Crystal 0.304 kg 6.6 % 8.9 In Mash/Steeped
UK Peated Malt 0.069 kg 1.5 % 0.1 In Mash/Steeped

Hops
Variety Alpha Amount IBU Form When
UK Golding 4.6 % 50 g 28.2 Loose Whole Hops All Of Boil
UK Golding 4.6 % 15 g 2.9 Loose Whole Hops 10 Min From End

HMM :hmm: I have asked at my beer circle meeting and was advised 10% for the rauch malt but having never used any smoked malts before I'm unsure myself and seeing your low % hasn't helped? :wha:
I'm talking 500grm in 5.5kg total grain
I'll let you know and send you a bottle of it when it's done! :D

the rouch malt can be used at higher levels than peat smoked, as the peat smoke is stronger and can give an over powering 'blue cheese' taste! this article is quite interesting

A bottle swap would be well good. How about I do my recipe with peat smoke and we compare results?

I'm always up for a swap :thumb: Sounds good :thumb:
My double brew day is now off :( I just won a greenhouse and need to collect sunday so porter will be sunday morning and honeybeer will be tuesday :D
Excellent article :hmm: Will bring down my 10% to 5% :thumb:

Thing is if you are going for an old style porter you don't really want too much smoke . . . it should only be a hint . . . so 3-5% Rauch malt should be enough.

Peat smoked malt should be reserved for Whisky :sick: Incredibly powerful stuff

Latest posts

Back